- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Easy, Quick Vegan Chilli
Cheap, Easy, Delicious
This is another recipe that I love because it's so cheap and easy to adapt, experiment with, or bulk out with whatever you have in your fridge or cupboard. You can also easily bulk it out to feed a crowd - I've fed 20+ people with this one just by increasing the ingredients and adding some extra vegetables, beans, and spices.
And, bonus points, it's super quick to make and DELICIOUS.
Note: This is a super simple recipe - you can make it more complex by adding basically anything you can imagine, but I like to give you the cheapest, easiest, possible version!
Check out my Vegetarian Yellow Curry for another CHEAP, quick, easy recipe that's perfect for cheap crowd catering!
- 1/2 Cup Per Person Rice, Any Type
- 1 Can Chickpeas
- 1 Can Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp or To Taste Salt
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Cilantro/Coriander, To Serve
- 1 Medium Fresh Red Chilli, (Optional - to replace powder)
- 2 Medium Carrots, (Optional) Shredded
- 1 Medium Red Capsicum, (Optional)
Instructions : Quick Vegan Chilli
- Chop your garlic and onions and any other vegetables you might be adding (capsicum, fresh peppers, shredded carrots, etc.) Put some rice on to boil - 1/2 cup per person is perfect.
- Heat some oil (make sure it's vegan) in a saucepan and saute your garlic and onions. Once they're translucent, add your spices and salt to the pan.
- Add your chickpeas. Fry them until they are slightly golden. (You can skip this step, but if you're going to be simmering the chilli for a while or reheating it the chickpeas tend to get a bit soggy or soft if you don't fry them first)
- Add a can of tomatoes and your kidney beans to the pan. Bring it to the boil, then turn your element down low and leave to simmer.
- Stirring occasionally, let the chilli simmer for 10 minutes to bring out the spices. Taste test occasionally and increase your spices or salt to preference.
- Serve chilli over rice and sprinkle with coriander (cilantro)
PRO-TIP: Make a bigger batch by doubling the ingredients or adding extra beans, vegetables, or mince (for a meat-eaters option - simply add it in at Step 3). You can freeze leftovers for easy dinners, or eat the next day.
PRO-TIP: For a vegetarian breakfast, serve leftovers with a quick egg omelette and sour cream! So good!