- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Easy Recipe for Hash Browns
How Would You Rate This Recipe?
My husband makes the best hash browns. The entire family raves about them, and it is always a treat for our adult children to be home for Sunday breakfast. His recipe is foolproof and always a hit. If you like hash browns that are crispy and golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside, you will love these! Give this no-nonsense recipe a try to see just how good made from scratch hash browns can be!
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 potatoes, medium
Peel Potatoes Quickly with a Vegetable Peeler
This vegetable peeler is the best one I have found. It has a great, easy grip handle. The blade swivels and makes peeling potatoes quick and easy. A must have for any kitchen!
What Do You Like With Your Hash Browns?
Which would you choose to have with hash browns?
The Best Skillet for Even Heating and Browning Hash Browns
Instructions for Easy Hash Browns
- Peel potatoes.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Grate potatoes into large shreds with a grater.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper into hot oil on bottom of skillet.
- Test the oil to make sure it is hot by placing one shred of potato in the skillet. If the oil is hot enough the potato will sizzle.
- Carefully place shredded potatoes evenly into skillet. Begin in a large outer circle around the skillet and gradually work toward the center. Repeat the layered circles until all potatoes are in the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Carefully uncover potatoes. With your spatula, divide the hash browns in half by cutting them down the center from one end of the pan to the other. Turn the pan and cut the hash browns in half again with your spatula. You now have 4 sections of potatoes and are ready to flip your hash browns.
- Flip each section of hash browns. Each section will now have a beautiful golden brown color on top.
- Continue to cook uncovered for 6 more minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat and serve.