Easy Recipe of Beef and Potato Curry: Aloo Gosht
How Many Stars for Beef and Potato Curry
Beef and potato curry is a popular dish in and Pakistani and North Indian cuisine and is an all time favorite in my house. Its called Aloo gosht with 'aloo' meaning potato and 'gosht' meaning 'meat'(Beef or lamb). However aloo gosht can also be prepared with chicken meat which is comparatively less flavorful.
Usually beef and potato curry has a soupy consistency to go with rice ,however if it is intended to be served with Naan or flatbread it can be prepared thicker. For thicker curry use less water in the last step.
Garam masala or all spice powder
- 1 lb Boneless Beef, Stew Cut /Cubes
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Medium or 1 Large Tomato
- 1 tsp All Spice powder
- 2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp Red chilli Powder, Use 1 tsp to make mild curry
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Dry Fenugreek leaves, Dry Methi leaves
- 2 Large potatoes
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Preparing Beef and Potato CurryClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Heat oil in a pan.Now add sliced onions and stir fry until light brown.
- Add whole spices like cinnamon and cardamoms and cumin seeds and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and stir.Then add meat and stir fry for few minutes until the meat changes color.
- Add chopped tomatoes and stir fry.
- Add 2-3 cups of water and cover the pot and let cook on medium heat until the water dries up.
- Do not let water dry up completely. When there is a little water left,turn the heat to low and keep stirring.
- Add peeled and cubed potatoes and stir. Also add 2 cups of water and fenugreek leaves and let cook on medium heat until the potatoes are medium soft.It should take about ten minutes.
- At this point add chopped fresh green cilantro and garam masala powder( all spice powder) ,turn off the stove and cover the pot for few minutes before serving.
- Serve over steamed white rice or with naan or roti.
In my home Beef and potato curry is usually paired with chicken pulao. My mother would always make Aloo gosht with chicken pulao and Shami kabab.
- Chicken Pulao - Quick and Easy Recipe
An easy and quick to make recipe of delicious chicken pulao prepared with chicken and basmati rice cooked in several spices and served with raita(seasoned yoghurt)as a main course dish.
Fenugreek leaves are available in all indian stores or even on amazon
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||342|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 38 g||58%|
|Saturated fat 38 g||190%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 44 g||88%|
|Cholesterol 45 mg||15%|
|Sodium 509 mg||21%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2015 Ash