How to Make Delicious Homemade Guacamole and Pico de Gallo - Easy Mexican Dip Recipes
Tasty Dips in Bowls from Mexico!
The Avocado and Your Health
Did you know that the avocado contains a heart healthy fat as well as 20 necessary nutrients that your body needs? For more information on the benefits of the avocado, visit www.avocado.org for everything avocado!.
Guacamole vs. Avocado Dip
I love any kind of Mexican food, Mexican-style food, Tex-Mex, or whatever you want to call it! If there's a taco, a burrito, or an enchilada involved, count me in! That goes for the dips that go with that type of food. I've loved guacamole ever since I discovered it. I'm a purist when it comes to guacamole, so the "avocado dip" I see in stores doesn't appeal to me. It seems that it's called avocado dip because it does have SOME avocado in it but not necessarily very much. Or maybe avocado dip is just another name for guacamole. But I digress.
Although I've had wonderful guacamole with onions and tomatoes in it, I really prefer plain and simple. Here I offer up just that--a guacamole recipe that has few ingredients and is easy to make. You get a bonus pico de gallo recipe, too--a blend of just a few healthy ingredients. I love these two recipes. I hope you do, too.
Recipe for Guacamole
Guacamole is really very easy to make and is so much better than what is sold in grocery stores. Even in restaurants, often guacamole is messed up, in my opinion, with added ingredients like sour cream that make it into a whipped creamy glob. I prefer real, chunky guacamole any day!
Start with ripe avocados. Ripe means that the avocados are soft and squeezable. The skins are no longer green but are turning black. Avocados will ripen quickly--in just a few days--if left out on the counter. They will take longer to ripen in the refrigerator and will last longer. Only a few times have I forgotten about an avocado left in the refrigerator that was too ripe to use. When avocados are too ripe, they start turning brown and are super, super soft.
Ingredients for Guacamole
Ingredients for Guacamole
- 4 avocados, ripe
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1tsp. or more lime juice, (or lemon; see what you prefer!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Simple, huh?
How to Cut and Peel an Avocado
Instructions for Guacamole
- Peel off guacamole skins. I've heard that there is actually some easy way to do this, but I just cut a strip (long way on the avocado), pull it back on both sides and pull it off. Then I pull at the avocado with my (clean) hands until it all comes off the seed. Throw away the pit from the middle.
- Mash avocados with masher. You can also use a fork. I like my guacamole a little chunky.
- Add in garlic, lime or lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. I have tried both lime and lemon juice, and I prefer lime juice. I think it gives a much better flavor.
- That's it. You're done. Serve with chips.
- Although I like guacamole a little chunky, sometimes I have to use a mixer to beat it a little at the end if it's just too lumpy.
Smooth or Chunky Guacamole--Your Preference
Don't Let the Dog Eat the Guacamole!
Did you know that avocados are bad for dogs? They are on the no-no list of foods for canines. Don't let your dog eat the avocado or the guacamole, as much as he may want to. Give him a chip instead!
Oh--and throw away the avocado pits as soon as possible before the dog or small child picks it up and chokes on it. Seriously!
Storing Leftovers: Easy Tip for Keeping Guacamole from Turning Brown
Recipe for Pico de Gallo
I have always loved pico de gallo in Mexican restaurants but never attempted to make it at home until recently. My, oh, my, is that stuff good! After looking over a bunch of recipes online, I settled on my pick of favorite ingredients and threw them together. It was delicious, I tell you. Absolutely delicious. I think it may be my new favorite dip for chips!
Pico de Gallo is easy to make and doesn't have any calories or fat to speak of! It's a healthy combination of mainly tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro.
Fresh Pico de Gallo!
If you like these recipes, give them some stars!
Ingredients & Instructions for Pico de Gallo
These recipe amounts represent a ratio, as I just made a small amount of pico de gallo that would serve two people. Double the ingredients, or even triple or quadruple for crowds. I generally use one green onion to two small or medium tomatoes. You may alter the ratio, but this is what I found to work really well.
- 2 small to medium tomatoes
- 1 green onion
- a handful of cilantro (seriously, get as much as you want; you won't use too much)
- 1/2 tsp or so of lime juice
- garlic salt to taste (or a couple of crushed garlic cloves)
- pepper to taste (I do several twists of a pepper grinder)
Many recipes call for jalapenos, but I think the heat might take away from the delectable flavor of the mixture. Chop up tomatoes, onion, and cilantro very fine. Add the rest of the ingredients to taste.
You're finished! Grab some tortilla chips to go with your fresh guacamole and pico de gallo!
Chips with Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
Buy your own unique dip bowls. Mine were picked up by a friend of mine on vacation in Mexico! I love them!
More Mexican Style Recipes from Victoria Lynn
- Recipe - Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas with Beans, Cheese, and More!
These fiesta enchiladas make a party in your mouth. Beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies, cheese, cilantro, and sauces, blend to create a great flavor. Top with sour cream and olives to make a tasty vegetarian dish.
- Best Easy Crock Pot Green Chili Salsa Recipe with Tomatillos
This crock pot recipe creates a great green chili that has spice, flavor, but isn’t too hot on the palate. I also add several white accompaniments that top it off. If you like spicy Mexican food, you won’t be disappointed!
- Kids Cook Monday Recipe: Easy Taco Tortilla Bar Menu
A taco or tortilla bar is an easy, tasty meal to make! Try this recipe with all the fillings and toppings you need for a great spread!
- More than the Traditional 7 Layer Mexican Dip Appetizer
This recipe boasts more than the traditional 7 layer Mexican dip. Added ingredients such as onion, cilantro, and possibly ground beef, make this dish even tastier than the norm.