- Food and Cooking»
- Beverage Recipes
Sangria Recipe with Red Wine: How to Make Homemade Sangria
Sangria is a delicious summer drink that is a perfect addition to any barbecue, birthday party, shower, or other special event. How can you go wrong when you pair red wine with fresh fruit, right? Aside from being very tasty, it is also beautiful. Sangria looks gorgeous in a drink spread. Even if you are not a drink connoisseur, you will be able to make sangria successfully. Once you've tried your hand at one or two sangria recipes, start experimenting with new combinations. I love this recipe that I put together, but there are lots of other excellent options out there.
Tips for Making Great Sangria
- Serve sangria in a clear pitcher. Show off the beautiful color and fresh fruit. Either a glass or a plastic pitcher is fine.
- Alternatively, consider serving sangria in individual glasses with evenly distributed fruit. Instead of serving sangria from a pitcher, you can pour single drink servings in clear glasses, each of which have several pieces of fruit.
- Taste test different flavor pairings if you aren't sure what kind of wine and/or other ingredients (i.e. juice, other alcohol) you want to use. Unless you make a lot of alcoholic drinks, you probably don't have great intuition for ingredient pairings. Don't worry. I don't either. Get some over 21 family members and/or friends together to help you narrow down some different possibilities.
- Use fresh fruit. No matter what time of year you are making sangria, opt for the fresh fruit that is currently available. If you really want to include something that you can't find fresh, opt for frozen. Please don't use canned fruit.
- Make sangria at least a few hours in advance. Sangria is one of those drinks that gets better after it sits overnight. Give the flavors time to blend together.
Have you made the sangria? Let everyone know what you think!
Note: I chose not to add any sugar to my recipe. You can if you like, but I think that there is enough sweetness here already from the soda, juice, and fruit.
- 1 bottle red wine, not too dry (I used pinot noir)
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 can clear soda
- 1/2 cup fruit juice (I used cranberry)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of at least 3-4 different kinds of fresh fruit, chopped
- Combine the wine, brandy, soda, and juice in a large pitcher. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Chop the fresh fruit. Add it to the pitcher.
- Refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight before serving.
More Great Sangria Recipes
- White Wine-Berry Sangria. This recipe inspired me to use the brandy for my own recipe. With strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, this is a perfect option for the Fourth of July.
- Sangria with Rum. Switch it up from brandy and use rum. This recipe recommends making a simple syrup, which will add a new depth to the drink.
- Peach Ginger Sangria. Fresh ginger, white wine, and peaches give this sangria a unique flavor. The recipe includes a video.
- Sunny White Sangria. Go for a citrus sangria with orange juice, lemons, limes, and oranges.
- Mango Raspberry Sangria. You'll get a distinct fruit flavor with this two fruit recipe.
- Melon Mint Sangria. If you love the watermelon/mint combination, this one is for you.
- White Summer Sangria with Basil, Peach, and Raspberry. The basil makes this such a classic for summer. This recipe has simple adaptations to make it non-alcoholic.
- Blood Orange Sangria. Blood oranges and Cabernet make for a perfect fall or cooler summer night recipe.
- Non-Alcoholic Fruit Sangria. There is no need to add alcohol to make a great sangria.
Check Out Some More Summer Recipes
- Alcoholic Popsicle Recipes: How to Make Popsicle Margaritas, Cocktails, and More
This article contains a wide variety of alcoholic Popsicle recipes. It includes recipes for Popsicle margaritas, mojitos, and other cocktails as well as recipes with beer and with tequila.
- Fourth of July Drink Recipes: Non Alcoholic and Alcoholic
This article is about Fourth of July drink recipes. It includes a variety of non alcoholic and alcoholic recipes. There are lots of photos as well as party resources.
- How to Make Lemonade Cupcakes and Other Lemonade Desserts From Scratch
If you enjoy lemonade, make it a part of your next from scratch dessert. Choose from cupcakes, cakes, popsicles, pies, and more.