- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe
A long time ago, I was in the store looking for something to make for dinner. Interestingly, this was about the time I first started to have an interest in cooking.
However; this was before I had any personal recipes, and I needed some guidance in the type of foods that I could start learning how to cook with.
So I found some scallops in the refrigerator section of the grocery store that had a recipe for scallop scampi on the back.
Say what you will about the recipes on packaged food, but it at least gives you a starting point and a few ideas for dinner. I ended up writing down the recipe and apparently forget all about it.
Recently, I was going through a few old boxes and found the recipe in a book as a bookmark.
So, I decided to make some changes to the recipe and add my own ingredients, and personalize it.
This is a Shrimp Scampi instead of a Scallop ones; I added some fantastic herb and garlic butter, some lime juice and zest. Also, I add Herb de Provence as a garnish.
This is one of the quickest and most delicious dinners you can ask for. It is done in less then 25 minutes, and it tastes like a million bucks.
2 pounds of fresh linguini pasta (or any fresh pasta you like)
2 pounds of popcorn shrimp, fresh or thawed (fresh is best, but if thawed, drain off any melted water)
2 tablespoons of fresh, or jarred, minced garlic
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon of cooking oil, vegetable or olive oil
2 tablespoons of herb and garlic butter (Kerrygold’s is great)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice, or the juice from an entire lemon
1 tablespoon of lime juice, or the juice from an entire lime
The zest of one lime
The zest of one lemon
Herb de Provence, for garnish
1. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. (It is best to use fresh pasta, because this recipe is very quick and the shrimp scampi will be cooked and ready in less than 10 minutes. So, using fresh pasta is perfect because the fresh pasta will cook in about (2) two to (3) three minutes.)
2. Zest the lemon and the lime.
3. Juice the lemon and the lime.
4. Drain the pasta and set it aside while you prepare and cook the shrimp scampi.
5. In a large mixing bowl combine the 2 pounds of fresh or thawed shrimp, the minced garlic, the salt, the fresh cracked black pepper, and the olive or vegetable oil.
6. Mix / toss the ingredients together.
7. In a large frying pan, on low or medium low, melt the herb and garlic butter.
8. When the butter is fully melted add the shrimp and garlic mixture.
9. Raise the range temperature to medium to medium high.
10. Cook the shrimp for about 5 minutes, or until the shrimp turn a bright pink (this tells you that the shrimp is cooked).
11. Add both the lemon and lime juices and the zests, and continue cooking for another minute or two until the shrimp fully cooked.
12. Put the drained pasta into the pot you cooked it in (pour out any water) or a large serving bowl.
13. Pour the cooked shrimp scampi over the pasta.
14. Lightly tossed the pasta and shrimp until the pasta is fully coated with the shrimp scampi.
15. Serve the shrimp scampi or pasta garnished with Herb de Provence.