- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Chicken Recipes
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
There is great debate on the origin of this recipe. Vesuvio is a volcano in the region of Naples in Italy, but this dish was apparently created in the 1930s at an Italian restaurant in Chicago. Whatever the origin, the result is delicious!
The slow cooker makes this an easy dish to pull together, and is even great for entertaining. Some tips for successful slow cooker meals include browning the protein for added flavor, and partially cooking the vegetables to ensure they soften enough. The recipe should always start with a little less liquid than you may think is necessary, to result in the perfect consistency.
Adding something fresh at the end always perks up the flavor. The lemon zest and juice, and fresh parsley do this.
This meal is essentially a one pot meal, but pairs beautifully with a salad. Enjoy!
- 5 Italian sausages, mild or hot
- 12-14 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 medium thin skin potatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, optional
- Preheat large fry pan on medium heat. I prefer cast iron for superior browning. Remove casings from sausages, and form into 1 inch meatballs. Brown the outsides for 7 to 10 minutes turning often. They do not need to be cooked through.
- Meanwhile cut potatoes into wedges and place in microwavable dish. Cover and microwave on high 5 to 7 minutes.
- Dice onion and mince garlic. Remove sausages to bowl and add olive oil, onion, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes to fry pan. Salt and Pepper to taste. Sautee until soft, scrapping up brown bits from bottom of pan 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add flour to onion mixture and cook 1 minute. Add white wine and broth. Stir 2 minutes. Transfer this mixture to bottom of slow cooker.
- Option: can now use the pan to brown the potato wedges for a few minutes if desired, but not necessary.
- Layer potatoes in slow cooker on top of onion mixture. Salt and pepper.
- Next layer chicken thighs, then top with sausage. Can be prepared to this point, and stored in the refrigerator a day ahead.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. 10 minutes before serving add frozen peas. Just before serving add zest and juice of lemon. Garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Other Slow Cooker Favorites
- BLT Salad
This salad could pair with Chicken Vesuvio to make a complete meal.
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow cookers can also turn rotisserie chicken into this fabulous, hearty soup. It is very filling, and will make the house smell fantastic while you are away at work!
- Italian Chicken and Peppers
Another classic Italian chicken thigh recipe that could be your family's favorite.
- 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Glazed Ham
Slow cookers can take the stress out of entertaining. How about this glazed ham recipe. You wont be disappointed!
- Slow Cooker Beef and Lentil Stew
This is another one pot meal with the traditional combination of Beef and Lentils. Give it a try!