Easy Crockpot Chili Recipe
Chili is the fabulous winter comfort food - but its just as tasty any time of year! Making it in a slow cooker couldn't be easier, and the results are fantastic. The longer cooking time helps to blend the flavours and results in a very tasty meal.
This chili recipe is simple to put together, and it's so easy to customize it to suit your tastes.
Ingredients for Crockpot Chili
- 1-2 lbs ground beef
- 1 can white and/or red kidney beans
- I can black beans
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 hot pepper or chili pepper, optional
- 2-3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Rinse and drain the canned beans. Add the beans to slow cooker.
- Brown the ground beef in a frying pan. Drain the fat and add meat to slow cooker
- Add remaining ingredients (salsa, onions, peppers and spices) to the slow cooker.
- Stir lightly to mix the ingredients.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low from 4-5 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chili Recipe Variations
There are many variations of this recipe you can use, to suit your preferences.
Here are some suggestions to customize this recipe:
- Use ground chicken or turkey instead of ground beef
- Experiment with different salsas
- Use different types of beans - red or white kidney beans and black beans all work well. If using dry beans, make sure you pre-soak them as directed.
- Add extra vegetables to increase the nutritional benefits. My favourite veggies to add are fresh mushrooms, frozen corn, and red or orange peppers. Green peppers work well too.
- Add extra hot peppers or chili flakes to increase the spice level, if desired.
- Try adding some cinnamon to the chili for an interesting variation. One day I accidentally added cinnamon instead of the chili powder I thought I had grabbed, and was pleasantly surprised by the result.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese and/or sour cream.
Chili is Perfect on a Cold Day
Rate this Recipe!
Leftovers can be saved for lunch later in the week or frozen for a future meal.
Perfect Times for Chili
Crockpot chili is a great food to bring to a potluck meal. You can plug in the slow cooker and it will stay warm and you don`t have to worry about using valuable oven space or food safety.
Chili is a perfect food for Super Bowl parties or watching the hockey playoffs.
Slow cooker chili makes a delicious meal to come home to after an afternoon spent outdoors in the winter, partaking in your favourite activity like tobagganing or skiing.
On nights when your evening schedule is filled up with kids' activities or sports, having chili cooking in the crockpot can help you avoid the temptation to grab a takeout meal.
Cooking up a big batch of slow cooker chili on the weekend can help you get a head start on lunches for the week ahead. It also freezes very well.
In the fall, nothing beats going for a family hike and coming home to a crockpot full of delicious chili!
What's your favourite type of chili?
Other Easy Crock Pot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Apple Crumble Recipe
- Easy Lentil and Ham Slow Cooker Soup Recipe
This easy slow cooker soup recipe can be made with leftover ham, or leave out the ham for a satisfying vegetarian meal. The lentils and tomatoes make this soup very hearty and nutritious.
- Recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Beef stew is easy to make in your crockpot. Here is a recipe for a delicious and nutritious slow cooker beef stew. This would be perfect for a cold fall or winter day!