Delicious and Easy Smoked Eggs Anyone Can Do at Home
Stun them at summer gatherings
Once summer rolls in the phone rings and picnic invites start pouring in. Who doesn't enjoy going to a fun gathering of friends where everyone can forget the daily grind? I know I do! There is always friendly competitions at these gathers. When I was a kid lawn darts were the greatest thing until some fool impaled them self and now they are outlawed in twelve countries. Horseshoes was always fun but as a small child I could never seem to get the shoe close to the pin. These days there are a variety of fine games on the market. There is a bean bag game that you toss back and forth into wooden holes. There is that one game where you throw two balls attached with a string at a rack of some type. the name eludes me but the kids love it. It would seem the adults prefer sitting and enjoying each others company. But, we do have competitions as well. Nothing is more fun than presenting a dish at mealtime that blows everyone away. Some groups always have that aunt so and so who makes everything that taste delicious. She always comes up with something that's over the top. Here is your chance to make her cry. Okay, that may be a bit intense, sorry. If you are kind of person who enjoys smoked food you will love this recipe and you will be the hit of the party. Its so simple too.
Hard boiling eggs
- 2 Dozen Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 Cup Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Celery Seed
- 3 - 4 Handfuls Hickory Chips
Direction with a smoker
- Place 5 quarts of water in a large sauce pan. Add the eggs to the pan. Bring the water to a boil and allow to boil for 15 minutes.
- Drain water from pan immediately add 2 cups ice and cold water. When ice melts add more very cold water. The idea is to bring the temp of the eggs down a quickly as possible.
- When the eggs have cooled peel and place in a large bowl. Add seasoned salt and other spices to the bowl and coat the eggs well.
- Place eggs directly on the rack of your smoker and allow to smoke at 125 deg for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Increase temp to 200 for the last 15 minutes. ( The idea is to cold smoke these eggs. Since they are already cooked to begin with. Over heating them for too long will make rubber balls not delicate treats.)
- Remove eggs from smoker and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Rinse off the spices from the outside of the egg. Serve.
Directions without a smoker
This method is not as simple and just a bit more touchy. You will need a small charcoal grill. If you don't own one you can actually get cheap models at a discount store for around $15.00
- Perform step 1-3 from above.
- Build a charcoal fire on one side of the grill.
- Soak the hickory chips in water for about 10 minutes.
- After the coals are hot place an aluminum pan on the other side.
- Fill the pan with ice and place the chips on the hot coals.
- Add the grate to the grill and place the eggs on the side with the pan of ice.
- Cover and let the eggs smoke for 45 minutes. This smoking method is much quicker because it is hard to keep the grill cool enough to cold smoke these eggs.
- You may need to add more wood chips about 1/2 way through the process.
|Serving size: 2 eggs|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 430 mg||143%|
|Sodium 405 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
We usually just eat the eggs after they are smoked. They are delicious that way. They will keep the in the refrigerator for a week at least. They never last that long but it is theoretically possible.
We have also used them in a handful of dishes that require hard boiled eggs.
- Deviled Eggs - This is my second favorite method of use. Eating straight out being the first. Try adding fresh chive to the deviled egg mixture. The oniony and smoke led well with each other.
- Potato Salad - We normally make this when we are home because my boys are huge potato salad fans.
- Egg Salad - It only makes sense right? Add a few slices of bacon to the top or right in the mix. You will think you're in paradise.
- Cobb Salad - Any salad is wonderful with these eggs as an addition
- Pickled Eggs - If you are brave, now take these eggs and add them to equal parts vinegar and sugar and double the water. That's a ratio of 1:1:2. Slice one jalapeno and 1/2 onion with a 1/2 tsp of celery seed. Place this all in a quart jar and allow to age in the refrigerator for a week.
Is this something you would try.
So, at your gathering wow them with this culinary treat. You won't be disappointed and neither with your friends. Just a note, only serve this to really good friend. Acquaintances and people you're plain sick of really aren't worth these tasty little items. Well, okay don't be rude like me and serve them to everyone.
Please check my other hubs about smoking meat and other items. If you still have questions please feel free to contact me anytime.