Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
I heard once that the best pumpkin pie you can ever eat was a sweet potato pie. So, I thought I would try my hand at making one. This recipe is a basic one: more or less a pumpkin pie recipe with yams instead of pumpkin. I have a note about adding more cream if it’s too thick. So add the 1 cup first and if it’s like stirring peanut butter just add the rest. It should be the same consistency as a pumpkin pie.
2 Yams or 16 oz. canned yams
1 cup Heavy Cream (add ½ cup more if batter is very thick)
½ cup White Sugar
¼ cup Brown Sugar
½ tsp. Allspice
1/8 tsp. Clove
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ginger
9 inch Graham Cracker Crust
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using a fork, poke each yam 5-6 times.
3. Place yams on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 45 to 1 hour or longer until they are fork tender.
4. Remove from oven and allow them to cool.
5. When cool enough to touch, slip them in half and scoop out the flesh, and discard the skins.
6. If using canned yams, disregard steps 1 through 5.
7. Using a large bowl and whisk (or an egg beater, a standing mixer, or food processor), place yams in the bowl and whisk until smooth.
8. Add sugar, eggs, cream and spices and blend until well combined and smooth.
9. Pour batter into pie crust and place on a cookie sheet.
10. Bake at 425 degree F for 15 minutes
11. Lower heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 45 minutes or until a shape knife comes out clean when poked through the center of the pie.
12. Allow to completely cool before refrigerating and serving with whipped cream.