- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Easy Tasty Vegetable Chicken Dish
This dish is crunchy, moist, light and filing. It is great to serve at a summer brunch or for dinner. You can serve it with a light medium wine or a simple glass of lemonade.
I serve this dish on many occasions because it is easy to make and children love it too. The combination of the soft creamy couscous, crunchy vegetable and the salty feta cheese creates an explosion of taste in your mouth, you can also add your favourite salad dressing or just enjoy as is.
I was not going to share this but because I have been asked for the recipe several times, I wanted to share it with you too. You do not have to be an excellent cook to master this recipe, all you need is a little time of 45 minutes and the below recipe in hand. Enjoy!
Preparation time for the chicken
- 7 - 8 large uncooked chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon of seasoning salt
- 1 table spoon of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (eliminate if don't like hot), finely chopped
- 2 table spoons of cooking oil of your choice
- 1 quarter spoon, black pepper
Preparing The Chicken
- Add chicken thighs to a large ziploc bag. Add the seasoning salt and black pepper, seal ziploc bag and rub in seasoning. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Add cooking oil to a hot medium cast iron skillet. Using tongs to carefully place chicken pieces into skillet; brown each side for about two minutes to seal the meat.
- After chicken is brown on either side, remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a large plate, remove the skillet from the heat and spread some of the chopped thyme, scotch bonnet pepper and green onion in the bottom of the skillet.
- Place chicken back in the skillet, add the rest of the chopped thyme, green onion and scotch bonnet pepper between each piece.
- Cover with tinfoil and puncture the top of the tinfoil to release some of the steam while cooking in the oven. Remove from stove top and place in a preheated oven at 360 degrees for 15 minutes.
- After about 15 minutes remove the tinfoil and mix together to properly coat the chicken with chopped ingredient, place back in the oven uncovered for another 20 minutes. After 20 minutes turn off the oven and leave in oven until ready to serve.
2 cups of Israeli couscous
1 cup of sweet corn
1 cup of green peas
1 large white onion – finely chopped
2 pieces of fine chopped green onions
1 red, yellow or orange sweet pepper – finely chopped
2 medium carrots
2 cups of chopped broccoli
1 cup of feta cheese
- In a medium sauce pan bring water to a boil and add a pinch of salt, add the two cups of couscous and reduce heat to a simmer, cover until water is absorbed, it will take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for about 2 to 3 minutes. Fluff gently with a fork and put aside to cool.
- In a large hot non-stick pan heat the peas and corn, stir consistently for approximately 3 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately add the chopped onion, sweet pepper, carrots, green onions, broccoli and couscous to the peas and corn. Mix together to evenly combine them.
- Plate the vegetable couscous mixture and add chicken thighs to the side. Sprinkle with feta cheese and garnish with parsley. ENJOY!
- You can add a side of extra salad, rice, quinoa or toasted garlic bread. I choose to use a fresh salad as an extra side to this dish.