Thai Green Curry
Coconut and Chilli Flavours
Discovering all sorts of delicious flavours from Asia was one of my greatest delights when I immigrated. One of my favourite meals would have to be Thai Green Curry. This type of food is quick and easy to prepare, whilst being full of amazing flavour. The delicious flavour comes from using coconut cream and a green paste which is made from green chillies.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2tsp. chili sauce or some chilli powder ( I make mine very mild)
- 2 shallots OR 1/3 cup purple onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (available in tall bottles at Asian/Chinese food stores)
- 1 – 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 4 lime leaves (fresh or frozen – available at Asian/Chinese food stores), cut with scissors into strips (discard stems)
- ½ cup fresh coriander including stems - this gives your curry amazing flavour.
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce OR 1 Tbsp. regular soy sauce
- 1 can coconut milk or cream
- Beef/ chicken/pork chopped into thin pieces
- 2 peppers, red and green
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp green curry paste (bought in store)
Saute your onion, garlic, peppers and spices together. Add your meat and brown. Add your curry paste to this and cook for a couple of minutes. Add your sauces (chilli, fish,soy etc.). Add sugar to taste.
Lastly add you coconut cream and simmer till meat is cooked through. Serve with basmati rice and enjoy!! This is a quick meal to cook – should take no longer than half an hour to make. To make it really tasty, add chopped coriander on top – the best part of it all!
This curry is so easy, you can add anything to it really. Sometimes I use sliced green beans and carrots and even potato – as long as you use your curry paste and coconut cream, you will get the desired flavour, so have fun experimenting.