- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Easy White Bean Soup Recipe
Hearty White Bean Soup
One of my favorite things to make is soup. I love just about every kind of soup and can eat it all year long. Although I make some soups in the summer, making soup is one of my favorite things about winter. This white bean soup is very easy, hearty, and can be a meal in itself for you and your family.
Photos of Making White Bean SoupClick thumbnail to view full-size
Directions for Making White Bean Soup
There are only a few things that you need to make this delicious soup. The quickness and simplicity of the soup make it a winner in our house.
1 ring of smoked sausage or a ham bone/left over ham
1 small to medium sized onion, chopped
3 peeled and chopped potatoes
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 bottle of tomato juice
4 cups of water
1 20 oz jar of white beans*
2 Tbs. of Olive Oil
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tsp Cavender seasoning (This seasoning can be purchased at any grocery store in the spice aisle.)
1 Tbs of Vegeta seasoning, This is not necessary for the soup but it does add a nice flavor. (This can be found in specialty stores that sell European products.)
*I have used Northern beans in a jar and navy or cannellini beans that are dried. If you use dried beans, follow the directions to soak them first overnight before making your soup. I prefer the jar of beans just for the sake of quickness.
- Pour the olive oil in the bottom of a soup pot and add the onion. Saute the onion until it is translucent but not browned.
- Slice the sausage or dice up the ham and add to the pot. Cook until it is slightly browned.
- Add the tomato juice into the pot and then four cups of water.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and cook on medium for about 3o minutes. Then add the jar of beans (be sure to rinse the beans first). Add salt, pepper, and vegeta and cook for another 20 minutes. Check for tenderness of the carrots and potatoes. If they are not yet soft, cook a little longer.
- Serve in bowls to your family. It tastes delicious with bread or rolls.
If you decide to make this meal ahead of time, it will taste even better the second day. Refrigerate for the next day if there are any leftovers!
Variations for White Bean Soup
I make this soup often throughout the winter months but I usually make it right after Christmas to use the left over ham that we may have. It gives the soup a delicious flavor, really any type of smoked meat will work. I am not a fan of pea soup so this is the perfect alternative to that. Enjoy the soup and stay warm!