- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Easy White Wine and Mushroom Sauce for Chicken – Chasseur Sauce
This sauce is actually a very old and very famous French sauce, called a Chasseur sauce, which translates as ‘hunter’s sauce’ – but you might as well know it as ‘easy but tasty white wine and mushroom sauce for chicken’ because that is a much better (and less intimidating) title for it.
This sauce goes well with any kind of chicken and will transform boring chicken breasts into something very tasty and more than a little elegant.
White Wine and Mushroom Sauce for Chicken (Chasseur Sauce)
- ¼ lb of white mushrooms, sliced
- Half of a small onion, finely minced (or better yet, one large shallot minced, if you’ve got it)
- A couple of good Tbls of butter
- 1 cup of chicken stock, preferably homemade. If using canned stock, it must be low sodium* (veal stock is also traditional…if you’ve got any on hand…)
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- A couple of Tbls of minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium and add 1 Tbls of butter. When the butter is hot, add in your sliced mushrooms and sauté, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the minced onion or shallot, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring to ensure that the onions do not burn
- Pour in the wine and let it come to a gentle boil – boil until it has reduced by half.
- Pour in the chicken stock and let it come to a boil once again. Boil gently until the mixture has thickened to a sauce like consistency, about 10-15 more minutes.
- Once thickened, to give the sauce a richness, sheen and great buttery taste, whisk in the remaining one Tbls of butter
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle your parsley over the top
* Because you will be reducing the chicken stock a great deal when making this sauce, it’s important to start out with something that’s unsalted or minimally salted. A rich homemade stock is best, but a low sodium canned stock will also work.
Note – if you’re in a hurry or the sauce isn’t thickening up to your liking, you can accelerate the thickening process by mixing together 1 Tbls of butter and 1 Tbls of flour into a paste, and whisking this into the bubbling sauce – this will immediately thicken it. This is called adding a beurre Manie.
Making Chasseur Sauce Chicken Video
More Sauce Ideas
- How to Make Chicken Breast with Orange Gastrique. A ...
A restaurant staple, gastrique sauces are very easy to make and can be put together in minutes. Try this easy orange gastrique for chicken breasts.
- Delicious mango sauce recipe. A fresh and easy sauce...
An easy recipe for a sweet and sour mango sauce that goes as well on grilled chicken and BBQ as it does on ice cream! Make this fresh tasting sauce in about 5 minutes.
- How to Make a Vinaigrette Basic Instructions and...
The basic formula for a great viniagrette with thousands of variations!
- Orange Balsamic Pork Chops Recipe - A Quick and Easy...
A quick and easy orange sauce for pork chops.
- How to Make Gravy. An Easy and Delicious Chicken Gra...
An easy set of intructions for making a homemade chicken gravy.
- Easy oven roasted tomatoes. Make fantastic 5 minute ...
Oven roasted tomatoes This may be thinking ahead a bit, but this technique is great for the coming months when we are blessed with a bounty of great seasonal tomatoes. Nothing beats the taste of a...