- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Portuguese Bean Soup
Soup Recipe Made Easy
There is nothing like a delicious homemade soup to warm the heart and settle the bones.
This easy soup recipe for Portuguese Bean soup is so easy and very filling. It can also be served over rice.
I am really big on using my leftover meats for soups and soup bases. I had nearly half a ham left over from my New Year's day dinner and thought it would be a great idea to make it go a little further by making this delicious soup.
The recipe consist of ingredients I carry in my fridge and cupboard most of the time. It's always a great idea to make sure you have the following staples in your cupboard of fridge to create your soups or soup bases: canned tomato sauce, canned stewed or diced tomatoes, cans of kidney beans, frozen corn, onions, potatoes, various veggies.
I will make a great big pot of the soup and then freeze half of the recipe in freezer bags to eat later on a cold day or when I'm just in mood.
Prep and Cooking Time
- 3 cups Leftover Ham, Chopped (small-medium pieces)
- 8 cups Water
- 1 Brown onion, cut in half and sliced into quarters
- 5 Russet potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 3 cups Baby carrots
- 2 cups Frozen corn
- 1/2 head Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 head Cabbage, chopped
- 2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, Drained
- 1 Large can Stewed Tomatoes, (Alternative option - Diced tomatoes)
- 1 Large can Tomato Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- 2 cups Large Elbow Macaroni, (before cooked)
- 1 link Portuguese Sausage, Sliced and cut in halves
How to Prepare Your easy Winter Soup
- In a large stew pot or soup kettle, add water, ham, Portuguese Sausage and onion. Bring to a boil on a high heat. Cover and turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour
- Add stewed or diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, carrots, potatoes, and cauliflower. Cover and continue to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage, kidney beans, frozen corn, and macaroni. Cover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until the cabbage has softened and the macaroni is cooked
- Add pepper to taste. Serve with warm rolls.
Nutritional Value for Vegetables with Ham Soup
|Serving size: 1 bowl (1-1/2 cups)|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 14 g||28%|
|Cholesterol 32 mg||11%|
|Sodium 581 mg||24%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Great Soup Pots from Amazon
Other recipes for you to enjoy!
If you have a passion for writing and would like to earn money by writing for Hub Pages, Join today ~ It's Fast, Easy, & FREE!