Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken Can Be Nourishing to the Soul
Some dishes have a warm and cozy feel to them. They are nourishing to the soul. Chicken with dumplings is definitely in that category. While eating it, you will savor every bite. After finishing this meal, you feel completely satisfied. And unlike many other dishes, you will anticipate eating the leftovers.
While there are many versions of this recipe, I think the one below is my favorite, because it is simple and scrumptious, and you will usually have these basic ingredients in your stock of food already. Try this recipe when you want to wow your family, when you are feeding a large group, or when you are cooking for someone who is not feeling well or just needs a boost. You can't go wrong.
At the end of this hub, you will find suggestions on how to put a twist on this recipe. These are some innovative ways of completely changing this dish, by adding alternative ingredients.
What did you think?
- 2-3 large chicken breasts
- 1 large can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken boullion cubes
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can flaky butter biscuits
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Allow chicken to thaw in refrigerator. Cut into fourths.
- Fill pot with water to cover chicken pieces. Boil for about 20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- While chicken is cooking, pour vegetables into large casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients with vegetables, stirring well. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Strain chicken and cut into bite-size pieces. Add chicken to mixture, pressing pieces down into mixture.
- Place casserole dish in oven uncovered. Allow to cook for about 45 minutes. Mixture should be hot and bubbling after this time.
- Remove biscuits from can and place on top of chicken mixture, spread out evenly and pressing them down into the mixture a bit. Place a thin slice of butter on top of each biscuit.
- Return dish to over for 15 minutes. Casserole dish should be placed on the middle rack so that tops of biscuits cook evenly and do not burn.
- Remove dish from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Place one biscuit in a serving dish and spoon chicken mixture over top. Enjoy!
- How to Roast a Chicken and Roast Chicken Recipes
Roast chicken is a popular and wonderfully delicious foodstuff. All too often, however, the ways in which chicken is roasted are unimaginative. These roast chicken recipes are extremely varied without making them in any way less delicious.
- The Best Chicken Recipes Ever
If cooked properly chicken is one of the most delicious meats you can cook and serve. Below you will find some of the best chicken recipes ever. For the last 50 or so years I have worked at coming up with the best chicken recipes in the world and...
- Chicken Recipes - Baked Mustard Chicken
With many chicken recipes out there I find baked mustard chicken delicious and easy to make. Serve with roasted mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, fresh vegetable salad, shell pasta, or baked potato...
Put a Twist on This Chicken Recipe
There are many ways to put a twist on this recipe by adding other ingredients. If this dish is for you, add some ingredients that you love. If it is for someone else, do the same for them. It is so easy and delicious! Below are some ideas to get you started.
- Add fresh broccolli or asparagus. Rinse it off, cut it up and add it to the mixture.
- Use fresh vegetables instead of frozen. Cut a couple of red potatoes into cubes and dice up a few carrots and a small onion.
- Add fresh corn on the cob. Husk a few ears of corn and rinse it off. Boil it for about 10 minutes, then let it cool. Trim the corn off the cob with a serrated knife. Add to the mixture.
- Take this recipe up a notch by adding artichoke hearts and garlic cloves to this dish. Artichoke hearts can usually be found in the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store, in a bag. Garlic cloves can be peeled and cut into smaller pieces. Yummy!
- Add fresh button mushroom slices. Boil some egg noodles and serve this mixture over the noodles with the biscuit on the side.