New-York Style Riggies Recipe
Riggies- I ALWAYS make these at the last minute!
Riggies is a pasta dish popular in central NY. It has a tomato-cream sauce that has a little spice to it (this is optional of course). It takes about 45-60 minutes to make, depending on you.
- 4 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 2 Green Peppers, Chopped
- 2 Medium Onions, Chopped
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock, There is an alternative if you don't have this.
- 2 Cups Tomato Sauce, There is an alternative if you don't have this
- 1 Pint Heavy Cream
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Parsley
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, to taste. Note: Spicy, optional
- Salt, Pepper, to taste.
- 2-4 Jarred Hot Pepper, Chopped, Note: Spicy, optional
- 3 Tbsp Romano or Parmesan Grated Cheese
- 1-2 Pounds Rigatoni Pasta, Cooked (Or any kind of pasta), Amount depends on how saucy you want it.
- 2-3 Tbsp Flour
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add peppers and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add onions and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add water, chicken stock, tomato sauce, heavy cream and spices. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes Stir occasionally! If you do not have chicken stock or tomato sauce, see below for alternative options!
- While your sauce is simmering, cook pasta.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with cold water until it is all dissolved and is a liquid. Pour this into the pot and stir until it becomes thicker.
- Stir in the grated cheese. Now would be a good time to season with salt and pepper, if you want.
- Add pasta to sauce.
- Keep on medium heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Take off heat, let cool for a few minutes and serve!
Teddy's of Rome, NY has the absolute best Chicken Riggies you could ever possibly imagine.
Other Ingredients to Spice Up Your Riggies!
For me, the simpler the better. Here are some other ingredients you can throw in when you're cooking the vegetables:
- Diced/Chopped Tomatoes
- Italian Sausage
- Cayenne Pepper