Easy pizza crust recipe
Making pizza at home is fun and easy with this delicious pizza crust recipe. There is something very enjoyable about making your own pizza crust rather than using store bought varieties, and this homemade pizza crust recipe is by far and away more delicious, not to mention affordable.
Whilst there are a huge number of pizza crust recipe available, the recipe below has stood the test of time, uses only a few basic ingredients and is very easy to make.
The recipe below can be adapted to suit your preferences – for example you can use half whole wheat flour if you wish, and sugar can be substituted with honey for a delicious flavour. When looking for flour to use in any pizza crust recipe you should ideally look for ‘strong’ flour – this is flour with a high protein content. Look at the nutritional information on the side of the flour packet and select flour that has above 10g protein per 100g – the higher the protein the better.
Once you master this easy pizza crust recipe, you will never want to buy another pre-prepared pizza crust again.
Easy pizza crust recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Makes 3 pizza crusts
- 600g (4 cups) strong flour
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) warm water (Do not overheat the water or the yeast will die)
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tsp (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
Easy pizza crust recipe - Method
- Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and set to one side to rest for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate. This should take 5-10 minutes at which point you will see foam on the surface of the water.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and form a ‘well’ in the centre. Pour in the water and yeast mixture and add the oil. Next, mix the ingredients together until they form a loose dough then use your hands form the dough into a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly flour dusted surface and knead for around 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth strong and elastic. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough inside, gently turning it so that it is lightly covered in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and set aside in a warm place. (you might want to take this opportunity to turn your oven on to pre-heat. If you have a pizza stone or pizza pan then make sure this is thoroughly pre-heated as well). Allow around 30 minutes for the dough to rise – it should roughly double in size. At this stage the dough can be ‘knocked down’ and gently pressed or rolled to your desired shape and transferred to your pizza peel for topping and placing in the oven.
This easy pizza crust recipe is delicious and versatile and is sure to become a favourite in your home.