- Food and Cooking
Healthy and delicious guacamole recipe for avocado lovers
Please rate this recipe
Are you inviting some friends over and don't know what to serve as a snack? Maybe you are looking for a healthy alternative to crisps and dip for your night in? Making your own guacamole is a healthy and delicious alternative to fatty mayonnaise based dips.
I have always loved avocados because of their 'buttery' and creamy texture. They have a mild flavour which goes perfectly with lime - that's why a lovingly made guacamole is so yummy!
My tip is to add some chilli for that extra kick. This recipe is tried and tested so go for it! If you love avocados then this is for you.
- Two ripe avocados
- Two limes
- A few cherry tomatoes, (choose cherry tomatoes for a fuller flavour)
- Half a chilli, (amount can be varied according to taste)
- Half a red onion, (again, the amount can be varied)
- One clove of garlic
- Coriander for decoration, (finely chopped)
- Flatbread or sliced carrots/celery, (use for dipping)
Scoop out the avocado gently using a spoon. Loosen the edges first to retrieve as much of the goodness as possible.
Follow these easy steps for a perfect guacamole
- Slice the avocados in half, remove the 'stone' and scoop out the contents gently with a spoon. Proceed to chopping the avocado into smaller pieces. Salt & pepper to taste. (If you don't want to discard the 'stone', you can use it to plant your own avocado plant at home!)
- Prepare the 'flavour mix' ingredients! Finely chop the tomatoes, garlic and chilli. Everyone is different so it's fine to adjust the amount of each according to your taste.
- Mash the avocado - this shouldn't be too hard if you have used ripe avocados. I have used a potato masher to achieve my result.
- Mix all the goodness together! And sprinkle with your finely chopped coriander. Use flatbread or chopped carrots or celery to scoop up the delicious dip.
Chop the yumminess into small pieces - the smaller the pieces and the riper the avocado - the easier it will be to mash it up!
Separate the avocado and mixed ingredients before you join them in guacamole harmony!
Voila! Sprinkle some finely chopped coriander onto your guacamole and enjoy your healthy snack - keep it all to yourself or enjoy with friends!