- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Salad Recipes
Simple And Easy Homemade Potato Salad
Potato salad is great during the summer (or for anytime for that matter). Homemade potato salad tastes so much better than store bought. Some much these days there are more and more pre-made options for side dishes at the store.
For the longest time, I have to admit, that whenever I (in childhood) saw anyone who made a potato salad at home or from scratch, I was actually afriad to eat it, because it didn't come from the store or out of a plastic tub.
It took me until I was an adult and making my own food in the kitchen that I realized that homemade foods (of all types: dinner, breakfast, snacks and side dishs) were not only healthier, cheaper, and quite easy to make; but that they were also far better when it came to the taste.
This potato salad recipe it is very simple; although it is a little time consuming. This is a great side dish for a summer picnic with grilled chicken or pork chops. you can adjust the ingredients to your taste.
6-8 Red Potatoes (they keep their shape after cooking)
6-8 Hard-boiled eggs
½ to 1 cup of yellow mustard
½ to 1 cup of Sweet relish
½ to 1 cup Mayonnaise
1 large red onion finely chopped, or diced
3 celery stalks finely chopped, diced
1 tablespoon of Paprika
Black Pepper, to taste (1 tablespoon to start with)
1. Cut the red potatoes in ¼ inch thick medallions (slices). (You can peel them if desired or leave the skins on.) Bring a large cooking pot filled with water to a rapid boil.
2. Add the red potatoes and boil them until they are fork tender (about 20 to 30 minutes)
3. Remove the red potatoes from the boiling water, and then drain them and allow them to cool completely.
Potato Salad Poll
Do you prefer your potato salad with Sweet or Dill Relish
1. Gently place the eggs (one at a time) into a large cooking pot filled with cold water.
2. Turn on the range to medium to medium high heat.
3. Allow water to come to a rapid boil (this should take about 10 to 15 minutes depending on you range).
4. Boil the eggs for 20 minutes; you don't want them to boil any longer then that or the egg yolks will turn a grayisg color (this won't affect the taste or spoil the eggs in any way, but they will look a bit weird).
5. Remove the eggs from the hot water and let them cool. (You can place them in an ice bath to cool them quickly if you are tight on time) this will take about 20 to 30 minutes.
6. When the eggs are completely cool, remoce the shells and then slice the eggs to a ¼ inch thick pieces. (You can also dice them if you like.)
1. To put the potato salad together do the following steps: In a large mixing bowl, combine and mix together mustard, relish, mayonnaise, diced onion, diced celery, paprika, and black pepper.
2. Fold the sliced and cooked red potatoes in with the mixed ingredients.
3. Fold the hard boiled and sliced eggs into the mixed ingredients.
4. Cover and chill the potato salad in the fridge before serving.