Easy to Bake Pita Bread Recipe
Yield = 12 pita loaves
This is a recipe a buddy and I perfected when we were baking overnight in the US coast guard. Most of the people on the base, way back in the mid 80s, had never had pita bread. (???)
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4-1/2+ cups all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Place water sugar and yeast into a Kitchen Aid (or similar) mixer. Let stand for approximately 10 minutes or until it is frothy, like a cappuccino gone sour :)
- Add the nearly all of the flour, all the salt and olive oil.
- Mix on medium until dough is formed. It should be just a little on the sticky side. Add a touch more flour while mixing if the dough is really sticky.
- Place dough in a lightly greased/oiled bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. Allow to double in size. This usually takes about an hour to an hour and a half.
- Once risen, turn dough onto a slightly floured surface. Roll out and stretch dough into a 2 foot dough snake.
- With a knife or dough divider, chop the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each section into a small ball.
- Roll each ball into a 8 inch circle with a rolling pin. I don't make a big deal out of the perfect circle part as you can see by the photo.
- Set the pitas on a slightly floured table, cover with a lightly dampened dish towel. After 30 - 40 minutes the pitas will rise just a little. They are ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
I remove the top oven rack from the oven and place 4 cake cooling racks on the top oven rack. Then I place 6 pitas on the rack(s). Replace the whole rack into the oven.
Bake pitas between 4 and 5 minutes. They will puff up and the bottoms will start to brown.
Take out the whole rack when they are done and put the bread in a large bowl and cover with a lightly dampened dish towel. Repeat for the next batch. When the pitas have cooled to "warm" place in plastic bags. This will keep them pliable and fresh.
For an easy delicious sandwich, serve with chicken, onion, cucumbers, basil,a little feta cheese and some fresh spinach.