Easy to Make Chutney Recipes with Coconut, Onions and Tomatoes
Chutneys are delicious and go well with South Indian breakfast items such as Idlis, Dosas, Vadas, and snacks such as Bhajjis, Pakodas, Khandvi, and Dhoklas.
Chutney is a thick paste made from grinding a selection of fresh fruits or vegetables. Spices are added to the chutney to enhance the flavor.
In my home Idlis and Dosas are staple breakfast items along with chutney. Coconut chutney and Tomato chutney are all-time favorites among my family members.
Here are my favorite chutney recipes. I hope you enjoy them.
- 2 cups coconut, grated
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- 2 small pieces ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chutney dal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Grind all the above ingredients into a fine paste and transfer contents to a serving bowl.
For garnishing heat, one small teaspoon of oil. Add half a teaspoon of mustard seeds in the oil, let it splutter. Pour the oil with mustard seeds on top of the chutney.
Add a cup of fresh coriander leaves along with the ingredients mentioned above to make Coconut Coriander Chutney
Add a cup of mint leaves along with the ingredients mentioned above to make Coconut Mint Chutney
You can choose to add both coriander leaves and mint leaves for an explosion of flavors.
Onion and Tomato Chutney
- 4 big onions
- 3 big tomatoes
- 1 cup of cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
1. Cut the onions and tomatoes into small pieces (need not be very small)
2. Grind the onion and tomato pieces to a fine paste
3. Heat the cup of oil in a pan
4. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter
5. Add the onion and tomato paste to the oil
6. Add salt and cover with a lid on low flame
7. Cook till it becomes thick in consistency
8. Add the chili powder and mix thoroughly
After it becomes thick, transfer to a bowl. The Onion and Tomato Chutney is ready to be served. You can store this chutney for one month in the fridge in an airtight container.
I love to spread the Onion and Tomato chutney on a toasted piece of bread; it tastes delicious.
© 2019 Nithya Venkat