- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Egg-less Walnut Cookies
It is often seen that many of us avoid snacks because we are worried about our health and our body-weight. It is a common belief that snacks contribute the most to our weights. However this is not true. Snacks prepared with healthy ingredients may serve as energy booster. They should be taken between the meals so that it reduces your hunger pangs at odd hours of the day and you do not reach out for those unhealthy French fries and burgers at the food court. Snacks are an essential and important part of a child’s diet. Mid-morning and afternoon snack helps in maintaining the energy level of your child. Healthy snack for children may help them improve their focus and concentration on their studies. The snacks available in the market may not be a healthy option for your child. It is easy to make healthy and delicious snacks at home which would satisfy your kid’s sweet tooth. A healthy snack for children should have the following ingredients:
· Fiber – it acts an energy stabilizer
· Carbohydrates – maintains the energy level of the children
· Protein – improves the focus and alertness in a child
· Magnesium – converts the sugar present in the body to energy
When it comes to healthy snack ideas for children every mother wants to give the best to their children. In adults also it is important that snacking does not become mindless eating. Keeping an eye on what you are eating and eating healthy snacks will help in maintaining your energy levels throughout the day. Healthy snack rich in fiber may help you in regulating your weight. For women also healthy snacks are important irrespective of the fact that you are a working women or a full-time home maker.
Preparing healthy snacks at home is easy. I want to share an easy recipe of Walnut cookies which is made of whole wheat flour, a source of fiber and walnuts which is rich source of magnesium. These cookies can be stored for up to a month.
You can also use almonds, pistachio or cashew nuts instead of walnuts.
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Semolina
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, Coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Mix the butter (at room temperature) and sugar in a bowl. The mixture looks like bread crumbs.
- In a separate bowl mix well the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the butter and sugar mixture to the mixed ingredients.
- Make a soft dough using 1-2 tsp of milk.
- Prepare small balls from the dough and shape it into small cookies. Alternatively, roll out the dough on a clean worktable and cut the shape of cookies with the help of a cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 15 minutes in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F oven or 180 degrees C
- Allow the cookies to cool down for 15 minutes. This will harden the cookies.
- Enjoy the cookies with your Tea or Coffee