- Food and Cooking
Eating Good Foods To Fuel The Healthy Body
A Good Food That Fuels The Body Varies In Combination
There is nothing much better than a human being to eat good food. Good eating is fueling the body. The body use fuel or energy from the foods we eat to carry out some of its internal activities, as well as physical actions like walking, breathing and sleeping. An activity like talking, singing, running and swimming required some energy. To drive a car for over five kilo meters, you need to expend some energy too. A noted scientist has said “good food is the greatest single factor in securing good health.” I subscribe to this opinion.
Our food comes from various food groups
A close observation shows different animals, birds, insects, reptile feeds on different foods. You cannot find an animal or a bird feed entirely on one specific food or a grain. The food items varied significantly. Even as human beings, we eat assort types of foods. In this regard, scientists classified foods into two main groups.
- According to chemical composition.
- And according to special functions in the internal metabolism.
Chemical classification of foods: The foodstuffs we eat are divide six groups.
- Carbohydrates or carbs for short. These are starch and sugar products. They are formed by green plants. Examples are:
- Brown rice, whole wheat flour, potatoes with their skins and similar root vegetables like yams, sugar cane and brown bread.
- Carbs are again sub-group into sugars, starches and celluloses.
- Further into simple and complex sugars, starches and celluloses.
Carbohydrates, specifically glucose or simple sugars when eaten will release the energy in the foodstuff quickly into the body cells. The body needs glucose or sugar. All internal cells, systems, and organs in the body need sugar to do their work well. Your brain needs sugar. Your muscles need sugar as primary fuel before anything else. Sugar is readily oxidized to release the much need energy. Starch has to be break down into simple sugar like glucose. Excess is stored as glycogen, in the muscles and tissues. This is where I and you gain extra weight quickly.
Carbs are very important foods for our body. Some are good and some bad. I have mentioned at least six foods that are good carbohydrates above. Any carb that is unprocessed like brown flour for making brown bread is a good carbohydrate. The bad ones are in the form of convenience food products like white bread, white rice, white breads and biscuits made with white flours.
Other sources of carbs are:
v Fruits-apples, mangoes, pineapples, tomatoes and peach. These are sources of complex sugars. After being properly digested, they changed to simple sugars.
v Nuts-almonds, walnuts, tiger and grass nuts, and peanuts are complex carbohydrates.
v Legumes-all types of beans especially green bean and soya bean. Another source of complex carbohydrate.
v Spices-especially green pepper, red pepper, garlic, ginger and onions. Sage and celery.
All these are natural sources of starch and sugars. Hence are good carbs.When eaten in their natural states, they seem to be satisfying; and at the same time make us not to over eat. This is because of their fiber content. A 1g of carb. will provide you with 3.6 calories.
Update: Fruits now are being measured in cups rather than grams. One cup of a fruit is the same as one big banana fruit. Hence, one cup is equal to one gram.
Fats and oils: Fats and oils have a special role to play in good eating. These are like the grease a machine used for lubricating parts of the component. But they provide more energy than carbs. A 1g fat will give out twice the energy value of a 1g of a carb diet. In other words, you get at least 7 calories from a gram of fat.
Fats come from meat, egg yolk, all nuts, butter and margarine. Palm oil and peanut oils are fats but are liquids at room temperature and pressure; whereas, egg yolk and margarine are solids at the same temperature and pressure.
Specifically, fats and oils are derived from two sources:
- Animal fats-pork meat, beef, red meat and turkey. Cod liver oil and shark liver oil are good fish oils. Mullets, sandiness and salmon fish oils contain essential omega fatty acids -3 and -6 that sustain the health of the heart.
- Plant source or vegetable fats-all nuts for example, walnuts and peanuts. Palm oil, pears and beans. Others are olive oil and coconut oil.
In colder regions, oils can be solids. Fats and oils are reserve foods stored in the body that are readily available when the body needs extra energy. Eating fats and oils is very important for good health, fueling the body for heat, work and protecting the internal organs of the body. Again, we need extra fats when the weather is very cold to maintain our body temperature at the optimum level.
Protein: A protein will give the same energy output as in a gram of a carb. Proteins build the body. Our body is at least 16% protein. Like fats, they come from both animal and plant source.
- Animal protein: fish and poultry. Egg white, milk, chicken and turkey
- Vegetable protein: from seeds, nuts, roots, stem and leaves of plants.
- Seeds: sun flower, black berry, tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Nuts- Peanuts, walnuts and cashews.
- Legume- green beans, soya bean, black eye bean, lima bean and all beans.
- Root crops or tubers-fresh potatoes, sweet potatoes, cocoyams and yams in their skins; and sweet cassava.
- Leaves (foliage)- all green leafy vegetables or greens: pumpkin, sage, brussel sprout, broccoli, spinach, etc.
Water is another but vital source of food. It is need for dissolving food that is properly chewed for absorption into the body cells.
The link below is provide for others who will like more information:
Eggs Are Good Source Of Protein And Contain Solid Fats That Is Harmless In Limited Use
Fresh Fishes, Dried Or Fried Should Be A Regular Source Of Protein In A Meal
Plantain, Yam, Peanut Oil, Palm Oil Are Source Of Carbohydrates And Oils
Eating To Live
I eat to live. I eat good foods to live.
What I and you eat is what we take into our body, and is what we become. This is a fact. The more we eat, the more we increase in size and weight; and the more we either get older or younger. I do not mean we are getting old as an old age person. It can imply so. Either we get older or stay younger than our looks. This is what I infer. But we become use to inactive like not able to take a short walk. We cannot stretch ourselves out. We looked tired than our age, and consider about dietary supplements in the form of capsules to bail us out. That will make the issue more deep for a doctor or health professional to handle nowadays.
Walking becomes like pursuing the heart. So, it is good that you eat enough for your enjoyment.
Servings of foodstuff: There is no agreed standard of serving foods like fruits. But we can learn a lesson or two from the rule of the thumb as for how fruits are to be served. Five servings of a fruit per day is a rule of authority. We can use this rule to make five servings of vegetables, nuts and carbohydrates.
Mixed foods: when foods of each class is mixed from more than one source, the health derived is much beneficial than when a single item of the food is eaten alone. For example, much can be gained from eating peanuts, bean and lentils or sweet corn. Each of the food has a carb, fats, protein and mineral salts and vitamins that supplement one another. Add protein and servings of fruits to this and you have a good and well balance meal. From this, we get maximum health benefits eating a very good diet.
Having a good food like this is not even enough.
Foods should be chew thoroughly before being swallowed. This action made the food to undergo a much easier breakdown for the stomach to churn the masticated foods in the belly. This process will make it much easier for glucose to be released from carbohydrates and complex sugars for example. Actions such as this also break down fats, oils and proteins into smaller units, including dietary fibers. Mineral salts and vitamins are readily absorbed in the intestine. All these by products are assimilated by cells in our body.
Eating habit: eating three times a day plus two snakes is good eating habit. Provide five small chops were all that is eaten in the day. Three big meals morning, noon or afternoon and evening is bad. Take your meal in small proportion. This is a health guide.
In the morning, breakfast should not be skipped. When I was in the university, one of my teachers said to me and my mates on authority that a cup of warm tea, two slice of buttered bread, an egg, an orange or banana is much better than to start the day on an empty stomach, except one is fasting for a purpose. A good breakfast is a good thing to start the day off on a bright note.
Your breakfast should consist of simple meal including fruits, vegetables and nuts and protein in the form of eggs and fishes. It is even much better if you take a pre-breakfast of lime or lemon juice in a class of warm water before the main break fast meal.
A snack of fruit should follow before lunch when you are spent. In other words, energy that you use up is to be replaced. This ensures that our body and health is at an optimum level.
Oat With Banana, Egg, Onion, Tomato And Peanuts For A Breakfast Meal
A Warm Cup Of Green Tea Goes With Fruits And Vegetables
Eating To Live
view quiz statistics
Beef And Eggs Are High In Cholesterol And Should Be Eaten Always With Some Peanut. Combining Peanuts And Sweet Corn In A Meal Will Make A Better Protein Formati
Fruits And Vegetables Are Man's First Fruit
A fruit is any product of a plant that contain a seed or nut but is edible and succulent. This means it can be eaten raw ripe or unripe. Fruits come from different types of plants. Some authorities consider nuts and seeds like beans and peanuts as fruits.
Fruits being man’s first food before the addition of birds, fish and meat has vital protective role in the defense of the body against ill health. They can be eaten as breakfast, lunch and super too. I do not mean you should subscribe to becoming a fruitarian or a vegetarian.
The Parts Play By Fruit And Vegetable In Our body: Fruits play a very vital role in our bodies especially in the digestion of carbohydrates, fats and oils and proteins. They also have the function of protection and preventing disease in our body. They have the vitamins and mineral salts to help in releasing energies in the foods we eat. I do not mean carbs, fats and oils, and proteins do not contain these essential nutrients. They do. They help in bowel movement and much more.
These carbs, fats and oils and proteins leave to themselves in the stomach are at times useless. They could not help themselves in the digestive processes. Their need the help of fruits and vegetables to released their energies into our body. They movement in the bowel by peristalsis actions becomes possible because of the presence fruits and veggies. Otherwise, the result will be constipation.
Here some will suggested you should take a purgative to evacuate the waste matters in the bowels. That sounds good, and can result in side effects in some cases. But a plate of fresh vegetables with fruits will work much better.
The five servings of a fruit: the rule of the thumb that you take five servings of a fruit each day is getting outdated. The rule that you make half of your chop plate fruits and vegetables is out dated by the 7-13 cups or more servings each day. The 7-13 cups is now the norm. You should eat as much fruits and vegetables as much as you can each day. This will give your body an extra edge over colds issues, cancer risks, heart related diseases, type2 diabetes and fortify your body against certain ill health. One serving of a fruit is 15 g. Therefore for 15 servings maximum 15x15x3.6 calories=810 calories.
I am not a fruitarian or a vegetarian. I do at times take differing mixed fruits and veggies including nuts and green bean plus some fried sardines and mullets for my breakfast or lunch. The presence of sardines and mullets ensures I have the essential omega fatty acids in my diet period. On a certain day which I call My Fruit Friday, I eat only fruit and veggies nothing more. This serves to cleanse my digestive system.
Now, how do you see to it that you get 13 cups of a fruit serving each day? Fruits are very plentiful during the harvesting seasons. This is the time to get them cheap. You can buy up to 15 different fruits each week in their semi ripe state. A semi-ripe fruit has much nutritional content and value than a fully ripe fruit. That is why an unripe mango can prevent diabetes melitus, but a ripe mango will cause your blood sugar to rise including your blood pressure to some extends.
You should take much fruits and vegetables include some fishes and nuts for breakfast, lunch or supper.
Your normal meal should contain 2/3 of its contents as fruits and veggies alone. But get beyond the 7-13 cups level each week.
All said, whether you take the traditional five servings or the present 13 servings a day, put much weight on greener fruits and vegetables.. They are very low in starch and have no sugar. Cucumbers, water melon, brussel sprout, all fruits that has a green coloring are low in carbs.
In taking much fruits and vegetables including nuts and seeds, your body demands of essential nutrients is easily meet.
As in a traffic signal, red is a stop. You stop for a moment and then go. All fruits in red colors should be eaten occasionally. This is because they are very high in sugar. These will raise your blood pressure high above normal at certain times.. Nevertheless, mixing them with a tomato (tomatoes are fruits too) and any of your major greens is harmless. Amber or purple colored fruits as well as yellow should be taken with caution and a few at a time.
Over use will bring problem. So you should chew your food properly before swallowing.
Processed Foods Like A Noddle Should Go With Plenty Of Fruits And Vegetables To Avoid Gale Stones BEing Formed In The Body
When Preparing A Noddle For A Meal It Should Contain Plenty Of Fruits And Vegetables
Sweet Potatoes Are Root Vegetables And Should Be Eaten With Their Skin
Watch Kids Rock Nutrition In The Kitchen With This Link: www.nutrition.gov/life-stages/children/kids-kitchen By Copying And Pasting Or High Light And Right Clic
A Bite Of Flesh Okay Have A Sardine And A Mullet
I hold that fruits and vegetables (FAV) are man’s first food. Now-a-day too, there is certain persons that has made fruits and veggies their sustainable living or meal. They do not add any bird, meat or fish. They selected their FAV wisely. The various combinations of the items give all the carbohydrates, fats and oils and proteins their body need. Remember nuts and seeds are also fruits. Combing peanuts, green bean or soya bean with lentils or corn will give you as much protein as an egg or a complete protein of first class status. What is more, they carbs, fats and proteins combination are good source of energy. But our fear is that if we do not take a bite of flesh, we get sick or hungrier.
Okay, have some sardine or mullet which is safer with essential omega-3 and -6 fatty acids. I recall while growing up and experimenting with these various FAV foods. I also regret to say that the energy release from combinations such as above sent me to a doctor because the temperature of my body surge higher. I do not know then that 2/3 of a meal should contain only FAV. I was just a boy of 24 years back then. Now I know better.
Our western diets depends more on how high a food is processed. We believe the more processed a food is, the more it is healthy. Unknown to us, as we have realized later to our regret, we end up sick.
Now, scientists are telling us we need to increase our eating of fresh fruits and vegetables, from the relatively five servings a day to the recent fifteen servings a day and much more. This was not based on a theory but on closer observation of common rural dwelling people eating nature’s products and staying free of diseases.
They saw individuals like you and me who take more and more of these natures goodness are relatively free of the common ill health associated with advanced years like high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and stroke, certain prostate cancer risks in men and especially breast and cervical cancer in women. These studies where undertaken over a period of fourteen years
Take a look at the animals. They depend much on natural vegetation. I have not seen a domestic pet owner cook a meal for his hen or goat or sheep. Fodders and grains or concentrates is what was provide to these beings.
We should eat more and more fruits and vegetables always. The reason being:
- Fruits and vegetables are full of natural goodness. They contain water in its purest form. Take a cucumber fruit or water melon for example. 95-96 % of the fruit is water. Cucumbers and melons are the only fruits that have more water than any other fruits. Are you tasty for a cool drink of water? Instead chew a cup of cucumber fruit.
- Mineral salts and vitamins. Fruit contains much vitamins and mineral salts. It is reasoned that you take your supplements of vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies and not from over the counter drugs (OTC). I am inclined to opine so because why are doctors encouraging us to eat more and more fruits and veggies? They have realized that despite the fine medication given to patients on certain vitamin deficiency diseases, eating much of the natural diets does better than medication.
- Fruit and veggies more natters is one of the natural ways to stay in optimum health. Your ingestion of these goodies wards of diseases and helps retard old age.
- Fruits and veggies (FAV) more matter are free of animal fats and oils and so prevent the formation of cholesterols in the blood. Animal fat and oils are essential parts of our digestive process. They contain saturate fats. These fats insulate our vital internal organs. Too much is bad and excess had to find out an outlet in building cholesterol. These saturated and poly-saturated fats need the essential fatty acids in FAV to prevent cholesterol building up in the blood stream. Formation of cholesterol in the blood is one of the major causes of heart disease and stroke. This is what puzzled doctors for a long time. They though the availability of drugs will solve problems.
- FAV more matters is more satisfying. By combing various assort types of fruits in salad form as per the 13 cup serving, will produce the energy you need even for some extra activities. Remember to add some nuts to your salads and not only greens. Peanuts, walnuts and cashew nuts are fruits and can count up to the 13 cup serving. This is because of their fiber content. Certain fibers are not digestible. They just stay sleeping in the stomach and at times delay the digestion of other food items in the stomach. This ensures you do not get hungry soon. After the carbs, fats and oils and proteins are properly digested, provide the bulk movement that is very important to keep our bowels clean.
- Most importantly, FAV will help you prevent cold symptoms and issues when eaten regularly. Not only this, it helps wounds to heal fast and strengthen the blood capillaries and veins and other tissues in the body. In this case, it is much better to include citrus and alkaline fruits in the diet always. These keep the blood stream in an alkaline medium which is the base of our blood. Any acidic state in the blood is a signal for disease to show up. But eating FAV regularly will prevent this from happening. I wrote a hub on “how to prevent a cold all season.” The subject matter was on eating fruits instead of resorting to drugs because of their long time side effects.
- A fruit juice is not a substitute for fruits. But if you want a juice, blend an orange with a lime and lemon or tangerine. Do not discard the seeds, though it may give the juice a slightly bitter taste or flavor. You get all the vitamin C your body need. You should also add a cup of tomatoes and pineapple to the blend to thicken it. Most commercial fruit juice sold under the brand names of super fruits are either chemically laden with additives and fruit extracts or fruit flavors. These juices lack fibers unlike the home made fruit juices, which is 100% fruit juice. But the problem with commercial made juice is that some lack enough real foods and dietary fibers. They sugar contents in most cases are just sweeter or commercial glucose.
Have A Bite Of A Muullet
Citrus Fruits Prevents The Blood Stream From Being Acidic
- 1 cups sweet potatoes, chipped
- 1 cups onions, sliced
- 4 lobes garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder, powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli, powder
- 1/4 cup pumpkin leaves, chopped
- 2 pieces green chilli, chopped
- 2 pieces red chilli, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 10 small pieces (120g) sardines, dried or tinned
- 1/4 cup garden eggs, sliced
- 1 cup fresh peanuts, whole
- 8 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 pinch salt
- 1 cup green bean
- Scrub potato with a small hard knife do not peel and wash clean in fresh water. Then chipped potatoes into smaller chips as shown in the picture. Put in clean bowl. Wash also the green bean into a separte bowl.
- Chipped fresh garlic, ginger and chili into another bowl.Chopped the pumpkin leaves separately. Then sliced the onions, garden eggs and tomatoes into different plates.
- Heat stove or cooker and turn to low heat. Wash frying pan and put on low heat. Put 6 tablespoonful peanut oil and 50 ml of water and into pan and pour in the raw potatoes and green bean. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put in the peanut and sardines into this and cook for 2 minutes. Pour the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly. Add 2 pinch salt and 2 tablespoon remaining peanut oil and stir again to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and pumpkin leaves and cook 1 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to a lesser warm temperature. Add the garden eggs and stir. It is done. Serves 2 persons.
- Serve with a cup or two of green tea.
Chipped Potatoes Are Root Vegetables Within The Carbohydrate Food Group
Onions Contain Good Amount Of Potassium And Magnesium
Chipped Garlic, Fresh Ginger, Green And Red Chili.
Some Chipped Onions And Fresh Tomatoes
Pumpkin Leaves Are One Of The Best Dark Green Leafy Vegetables
Fruits And Veggies All Matter
|Serving size: 2|
|Calories from Fat||1944|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 216 g||332%|
|Saturated fat 46 g||230%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 134 g||45%|
|Sugar 28 g|
|Fiber 36 g||144%|
|Protein 60 g||120%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 1481 mg||62%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Good health and good eating is for every person. Animals naturally feeds on natures products.They eat good foods and a human being is not an exception. A person is not create to feed on highly process foods,. These should be limited for lack of time but the meal is to be supplement with plenty of fruits and vegetables.
To your good health!
Miebakagh57 (Miebakagh Fiberesima) Copy right 2014 2015.