- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Vegetable Main & Side Dish Recipes
The Joy of Cooking Savory Herb-Stuffed Artichokes:Vegetable Side Dishes That are Low in Calories
“Cooking is at once child's play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.”
― Craig Claiborne
Eating Healthy~Feeling Great! Side Dish-Vegetables
Healthy eating has always been such an important factor of staying fit and most importantly, feeling great. In our busy day to day lives we sometimes find ourselves eating on the run, grabbing a burger because it's fast, or just skipping meals altogether because we are simply too busy to eat, or even worse...forget to eat!
Side dishes are a big part of fixing a well balanced healthy meal. Side dishes are usually your vegetable or fruit portion that compliment the main dish. The ideas for recipes are endless when it comes to creating a side dish. In this hub of my Eating Healthy~Feeling Great Series, this recipe for Savory Herb-Stuffed Artichokes is a wonderful compliment to any meat, fish, or poultry entrée.
It's very easy and very quick to make, and your family and friends will love them!
Prep and Baking Time
- 4 medium artichokes, (3/4 pound each)
- 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- 1 tomato, (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, (finely chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, (finely chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tarragon, (finely chopped )
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon koscher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Rate This Recipe
Tip for Cooking Artichokes
Like apples and pears, cut artichokes will turn brown if they're not dropped in acidulated water OR rubbed with lemon. Adding what's left of the lemon to the cooking water helps to retain their color.
- With a large stainless-steele knife, cut off the stem of each artichoke flush with the base so the artichoke will be able to stand upright; remove and discard the center leaves and choke. With scissors, trim 1" from the top of each artichoke; rub the cut ends with the lemon.(see cooking tip below)
- Fill a large "non-reactive" saucepan with 8 cups of water, then add the artichokes and lemon; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on a non-stick baking sheet; bake until toasted(15-20 minutes) then transfer to a large bowl. Add the tomato, parsley, basil, tarragon, lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Fill the center of the artichokes with the bread-crumb mixture; place on the baking sheet. Bake until the bread crumbs are nicely browned (25-30 minutes)
- Serve with your favorite meat, poultry, or fish entrée.
Nutritional Value for Savory Herb-Stuffed Artichokes
|Serving size: 1 Artichoke|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 46 g||15%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 14 g||56%|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 6 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Great Artichoke Finds from Amazon
More Healthy Recipes by Rustic Living
About the Author
Lisa has directed and acted in musical theatre for nearly 30 years. Her musical upbringing allowed her to pursue her career in teaching and directing and continues to direct shows today. As the owner of 2 online Home Décor sites, Lisa’s passion for Rustic Living all begins with her love for the home, outdoors, and her many hobbies. Lisa loves to laugh, and she share’s that love through her comedic hubs centered on her MOM. Lisa’s passions include writing, directing, acting, photography, singing, cooking, crafts, gardening, and home improvement, including decorating. Lisa also writes under her penned name, Elizabeth Rayen.
If you have a passion for writing and would like to earn money by writing for Hub Pages, Join today ~ It's Fast, Easy, & FREE!