Healthy Recipe for Spicy Thai Corn Soup with Shrimp
The Spicier the Better!
I have always loved creating and making a good hearty stew or soup. There is nothing better than a tummy warmer of soup on a cold winter day!
The soup in this hub will take you on the "spicy" side of the fence. You can add or delete the hotter spices to your own liking, however, I haven't had a complaint yet!
"Having a good wife and rich cabbage soup, seek not other things”
Scrumptious Thai Corn Soup with Shrimp (Spicy)
You will LOVE this creamy corn soup recipe as it can be made in a matter of minutes!
You can also substitute strips of chicken breasts for the shrimp, and for a special surprised touch, add some canned crab meat.
Prep and Cook Time
How would you rate this recipe?
- In a large nonstick saucepan, over medium heat, heat the canola oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili paste. Cook, storring until fragrant (1 minute)
- Stir in the chicken broth, corn, shrimp, and fish sauce; bring to a boil then simmer until the flavors are completely blended(15 minutes).
- In a small bowl, whisk the following until blended: Water, cornstarch, sugar, and sesame oil until blended; stir ingredients from the bowl into the soup. Stir in the egg.
- Return the soup to a simmer and cook until soup slightly thickens and the egg sets into long strands (about 3 minutes)
- Stir in cilantro and paprika. Serve at once.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili paste
- 4 cups Chicken Broth, (reduced-sodium)
- 1 - 14 3/4 ounce can cream-style corn
- 1 - 8 ounce package frozen cooked salad shrimp, (thawed)
- 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 1 large egg, (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Nutritional Value for Thai Soup with Shrimp
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 28 g||56%|
|Cholesterol 222 mg||74%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Great Soup Products from Amazon
More Recipes from my Eating Healthy, Feeling Great Series
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad Recipe: Eating Healthy and F...
- Ciabatta Bread: Savory Herb and Olive Recipe
- Cottage Cheese and Olive Dip and Dilly Dip: Healthy ...
- Tasty Low-Fat Quick and Easy Stir Fry: Taking your C...
- How to Add Whole Grains to Your Diet: Eating Healthy...
- Hoppin John-Southern Traditional Low Fat Recipe- Eat...
- Greek Lovers Roast Chicken with Brown Rice: Eating H...
About the Author
Lisa has directed and acted in musical theatre for nearly 30 years. Her musical upbringing allowed her to pursue her career in teaching and directing and continues to direct shows today. As the owner of 2 online Home Décor sites, Lisa’s passion for Rustic Living all begins with her love for the home, outdoors, and her many hobbies. Lisa loves to laugh, and she share’s that love through her comedic hubs centered on her MOM. Lisa’s passions include writing, directing, acting, photography, singing, cooking, crafts, gardening, and home improvement, including decorating. Lisa also writes under her penned name, Elizabeth Rayen.
If you have a passion for writing and would like to earn money by writing for Hub Pages, Join today ~ It's Fast, Easy, & FREE!