- Food and Cooking
Delicious Desserts: Eating Healthy and Feeling Great
Eating Healthy and Feeling Great "Delicious Desserts"
Healthy eating has always been such an important factor of staying fit and most importantly, feeling great. In our busy day to day lives we sometimes find ourselves eating on the run, grabbing a burger because it's fast, or just skipping meals altogether because we are simply too busy to eat, or even worse...forget to eat!
Whoever said that eating desserts could be bad for you? Well, ok...if they're loaded with sugar and fat, ya maybe....but what if you could have a cool refreshing strawberry sherbet with only 77 calories per serving.. or the lemony-ist of lemon pudding cakes for a whopping 185 calories per serving!? Well you can, and the recipies are below. And this is just the beginning... I will keep adding more low calorie, low fat healthy desserts for your tasting pallet. SO DIG IN! Enjoy and throw away that guilt!!!
Stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Coincidence? I think not!
Scrumpious Strawberry Fruit Sherbet
When fresh strawberries are in season, freeze lots of them and you can enjoy this sherbet all year round. It’s ready in an instant and makes a great after school snack for the kids!
Makes 2 servings- (Serving size-1/2 mixture 77 Calories)
· 1 cup frozen strawberries (unsweetened) DO NOT THAW
· ½ medium, ripe banana
· 1/4 cup orange juice (unsweetened)
· 1 teaspoon honey
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender container.
2. Blend until smooth, stopping blender several times to stir mixture.
3. Spoon into sherbet glasses and enjoy.
*Note: To make this into a drink, add more juice.
- Eating Right, Feeling Great! Breads
There are so many wonderful types of breads today. What is so unique about bread recipes is that they stem from the cultural to the family traditional. Do you have a recipe that was passed down to you from a grandmother? Or perhaps you are from a cou
- Eating Healthy, Feeling Great! Main Dish Recipes fo...
Pasta is a very inexpensive way to create a meal or side dish that will go a long way. It's quick and easy to cook and will compliment so many sauces and toppings. Pasta comes in many flavors, such as whole wheat, spinach and red pepper which also al
- Eating Healthy, Feeling Great! Fruits
Fruits have a wonderful way of enhancing our senses. Fruits can make us happy, make us energized, make us feel sexy, and make us feel better. Fruits are eaten as snacks, desserts, and main dishes.
- Eating Healthy, Feeling Great! Side Dish Recipes for...
Side dishes are a big part of fixing a well balanced healthy meal. Side dishes are usually your vegetable or fruit portion that compliment the main dish. The ideas for recipes are endless when it comes to creating a side dish. In this hub of my Eatin
- Eating Healthy, Feeling Great! Fabulous Salads
I love a good salad. I love the fact that salad creations are endless possibilities. Salads can be side dishes to compliment a chicken or steak dinner, or can be a meal all in itself. Vegetables are a great source of vitamins and minerals that we sho
- Eating Healthy, Feeling Great! Spicey Soup Recipes
I have always loved creating and making a good hearty stew or soup. There is nothing better than a tummy warmer of soup on a cold winter day! The two soups I have included in this hub are taking you on the
- Eating Healthy, Feeling Great! Main Dish Recipes for...
Healthy eating has always been such an important factor of staying fit and most importantly, feeling great. In our busy day to day lives we sometimes find ourselves eating on the run, grabbing a burger because it's fast, or just skipping meals altoge
Doublelicious Lemon Pudding Cake
This cake is so moist and lemony, no one will ever guess the ingredients!
Makes 4 servings- (Serving size – 2” slice 185 Calories)
· 2/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese
· 2 eggs, slightly beaten
· ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon each baking powder
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· ½ teaspoon lemon extract
· 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar (or sweetener equivalent to 8 teaspoons sugar)
· 1-1/2 ounces bran cereal flakes, slightly crushed
· 1 cup water
· 1-1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
· 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
· 2 drops yellow food color
· 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar (or sweetener equivalent to 8 teaspoons of sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, except cereal. Mix well.
3. Stir in cereal. Place mixture in a 4 x 8 inch non-stick loaf pan and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes, until set and lightly browned.
5. When cake is almost done, combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. **(If using sweetener, add it after cooking)
6. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Cook, stirring over medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil.
7. Continue to cook and stir (1 minute)
8. Remove from heat.
9. To serve, cut hot cake into 2 inch slices and place on individual plates. Spoon hot sauce over cake.
Additional Healthy Eating Hubs
Lisa Furugen/Rustic Living© All Rights
March Challenge #23/30