- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
Watermelon is a fruit that grows on a vine on the ground. It originated in Africa and is one of the many fruits that were brought to the New World by the black slaves. A watermelon apparently is loosely termed so but it is known as a 'pepo' by scientists.
It can be identified by it's thick rind, and fleshy center. Watermelon rind the exterior protective shell can be green, yellow and sometimes white. The fleshy interior flesh can be pink, red, yellow, orange, and green when it is not ripe.
Watermelons can be seeded or seedless. If they are seeded you will have to contend with and eat around the hard black seeds. If it is seedless, the seeds are undeveloped and soft and can be eaten. They are normally white and soft making it unnecessary to spit them out.
These fruits are mostly water up to 92% of it weight is water, with the remaining 6 to 8% being sugar. It is high in vitamin C. It can be a diuretic and is high in beta carotene. The red flesh of the watermelon is also high in lycopene.
The rind of the watermelon may be spotted or striped and can be eaten as well and is high in nutrients but is not consumed in may cultures because of it's unappealing taste. China uses it as a vegetable in stir fries and stews. The rind can be pickled and is eaten this way often. Watermelon juice can be used to make wine.
The flesh is also used in fruit salads, juice cocktails and by itself. Eating it any way you choose is up to you but consuming watermelon is good for you are well as tasty.
The best season to purchase and enjoy watermelon is during the summer months. That doesn't mean you can't get them all year round but there is just something about eating a cold refreshing juicy sweet watermelon in the warm to hot months of the year.
Health benefits of eating or drinking watermelon
Watermelon is high in nutrients and antioxidants besides just being a sweet thirst quencher they are great for inflammation, an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin A. It is a good idea to drink, and eat watermelon for it's super antioxidants which are known to fight free radicals in the body. Apparently neutralizing them so that they don't damage the body, it helps with hydration as well helping with conditions such as wrinkles and dry skin.
A cup of watermelon provides 24.3% of your daily vitamin C, which is known to help with all kinds of viruses. As well as beta carotene, lycopene, magnesium, potassium, vitamins, B1 and B6, and others that help.
Fights Prostate cancer
Protects against Macular degeneration
Gives an energy boost, through the B vitamins that it provides
Lower blood pressure
Improves insulin sensitivity
Studies have shown that watermelon aids in these problems and along with other ingredients like Green Tea are marvelous ways to keep the body healthy.
The watermelon capital of the world
The Watermelon capital of the world.
Cordele, Georgia is known as the Watermelon capital of the world. Cordele is a little city in crisp county Georgia, USA. It is 140 miles south of Atlanta, the capital of Georgia and 100 miles north of Florida on I 75.
It was founded in 1888 by J.E.D. Shipp of Americus. It draws great benefits from the two railway that are there, the Savannah-Americus & Montgomery line and the Georgian Southern & Florida line. It was named after the daughter of the president of SAM railroad, Cordelia Hawkins. The community of Cordele flourished between these two railroad junctions.
In November of 1864 this area now Cordele was used as the temporary capital of Georgia. It is steeped in Civil War history.
- Watermelon Lemonade Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Classic lemonade meets freshly pureed watermelon in this refreshing summer drink.
- Frozen Watermelon Margarita - Fresh Fruit Cocktail Recipes
Watermelon margaritas are a sweet way to keep cool in the summer. Freezing the watermelon beforehand creates a slushy, frozen cocktail without the ice. Delicious!
- Watermelon-Tequila Cocktails Recipe - Bobby Flay | Food & Wine
If you decide to use watermelon in different ways here are some interesting ways to consume a good fruit for it's juice and flesh other than eating it.
1. Watermelon lemonade
What you'll need:
2 to 3 cups of watermelon flesh, cubed
1/4 to 1/2 a lemon, fresh squeezed
Mix all ingredients in the blender and pulse flesh until it is in liquid form, then drink. If it is too tart adjust the amount of lemon that you add. Make sure everything is chilled or add a few ice cubes to the blender.
In a juicer
If you do this in a juice machine / juicer, go ahead and add the rind of the watermelon and lemon, make sure you clean the rinds well.
2. Watermelon wine cooler
What you will need:
2 to 3 cups of watermelon flesh, cubed
5 ounces or so of your favorite fruity wine, e.g. Moscato D'Asti
Mix all ingredients in a blender, pulse until the flesh is liquid then enjoy. Make sure everything is cold or chilled. You can also add a few cubes of ice to the blender.