- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
Egg Curry - An Indian Dinner Recipe
Egg curry is a common Indian dinner recipe, in which hard boiled eggs are dipped in a thick, sweet and sour gravy. Dessicated coconut and cashewnuts add a special konkani flavor to it. (Konkan is a rugged section of the the western coastline of India, known for the generous use of coconut and cashew in its cuisine.)
An Easy And Quick Dinner Recipe
Indian Egg Curry
Ingredients Required To Make The Curry
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 large sized tomato, pureed
- 1/4 cup cashewnuts
- 2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander sauce
- freshly chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 11/2 cups water
- To make the gravy, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a deep pan. Chop one of the onions, and blend it to make a puree. Put this pureed onion in the hot oil, and fry on medium flame, until golden brown in color. Turn off the flame, and allow it to cool. Slice the other onion into rings, for garnish.
- Soak the cashewnuts in half a cup of warm water for an hour. Blend and make a thick paste. To this, add the fried onion, tomato puree, grated ginger and garlic, and dessicated coconut. Blend again without adding more water.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Put the cumin and poppy seeds, add the blended paste, and fry for 1-2 minutes on medium flame. Add all the dry spices (turmeric, coriander powder, salt, and pepper). Mix well, and continue to fry on a low flame, until oil begins to leave sides of the pan. Now add a cup of water, mix well, and bring it to boil on a medium flame. Half slit the hard boiled eggs vertically, and put them gently into the gravy. Reduce the heat, and allow the curry to cook for another 5-6 minutes, until the flavors of cashew and coconut get absorbed in it. You can even make this gravy in a pressure cooker, or a microwave oven.
- When the curry is thickened, and reduced to about half of the original quantity, turn off the flame. Plate it in a serving bowl. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves, onion rings, cashew nuts and coriander sauce. Serve hot with steamed rice or bread.
A Quick And Easy Dinner Recipe To Be Served With Steamed Rice Or Bread
Eggs are a source of high quality natural proteins, containing all the essential amino acids. Egg yolks also contain significant amounts of choline, and vitamins-A and D. Other vitamins of the B-complex group, especially vitamin-B12, minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus, and potassium, are also found in eggs. An egg is one of the best sources of phosphatidyl choline (lecithin) in our diet, that provides nourishment to the brain. The flip side being, that an egg yolk has a high fat content, providing around two-thirds of our daily recommended intake of cholesterol. Thus eggs are good for health, but should be consumed in moderation. People with known food allergies, or sensitivity to egg protein, should refrain from having it.
Red onion bulbs contain natural polyphenols and the antioxidant quercetin. Garlic is a natural blood thinner, and also helps ward off common cold and seasonal viral infections. Both onion and garlic are natural prebiotics.
Botanically tomato is a berry fruit. Tomato puree, especially after being cooked, has a high content of lycopene, a natural antioxidant that strengthens the heart, has antiaging effects, and improves skin ability to protect against harmful ultra violet rays of sun.
Dessicated coconut is obtained by drying ground or shredded coconut kernels It contains 60-70% of fat, and minerals such as manganese, iron,phosphorus and zinc.