Egg for Toddlers
Egg contains high protein and it is easy to eat, especially for young children. As long as your child doesn't have egg allergy, egg is the perfect homemade baby food to ensure your child intake of enough protein. There are many ways to cook eggs that children will love, such as boiled egg, steamed egg and scrambled egg. I remember feeding my children eggs once they knew how to eat Gerber baby food. Since they didn't know how to chew yet, I would start with boiled egg yolks mix with water. Then I would offer steamed egg which is a combination of a whole egg and water. If you use right temperature and time, the steamed egg will come out as smooth as pudding which doesn't require chewing and it is very easy to swallow. I don't add salt when I make food for my babies or toddlers. Here is the recipe of steamed egg, perfect food for 1 year old .
How do you like this steamed egg recipe?
- 2 Eggs
- 5-6 oz Water, Depending on the size of the eggs
- 1 tsp Salt, Optional
- In a large pot, start heat up 1 inch height of water.
- Crack the eggs into a deep dish plate. You can use metal, ceramic or glass plate, just make sure it has at least 1/2 inch in depth.
- Add in water and salt and whisk them well.
- Use a spoon to remove excess foam on the surface.
- Use a steel plate grabber and carefully place the plate into the boiling water. Then cover the pot.
- Turn the heat to low for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and make sure the pot is still covered for another 8-9 minutes. The hot steam will help finish cooking the egg.
- If you don't have a glass lid for you to see whether the egg is done cooking, it is a good idea to check the egg after 8 minutes of steaming.
It is simple to boil an egg. Here is how you do it:
- You will need a pot with water that is enough to cover the egg.
- Bring the water to a boil and turn the heat to medium low for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the egg to a bowl with cold water for about 10 second, then crack the egg.
A toddler should be able to chew and swallow scrambled egg. Here is how to make scrambled egg:
- Crack the number of eggs you want
- Add in salt, pepper and garlic powder if you want
- Whisk the eggs and mix them well
- Heat some cooking oil on a skillet
- Add in the egg and stir occasionally
- Turn off the heat when the eggs are completely cooked.
Although fish is the main ingredient in fish cake, egg is also used. Fish cake is simple to make and can be eaten as main meal or snack. It is easy to eat and very nutritious, perfect for young children to eat. You can also add in the vegetables you would want your child to eat, such as carrot. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether you serve it as snack, lunch or dinner for toddlers, it is a healthy food for them. Click here for the fish cake recipe.
Another easy to make egg recipe for todders is egg frittata. Like fish cake, egg frittata can also be main meals or finger foods for toddlers. You can also sneak in some vegetable, such as spinach and carrot, while you make egg frittata. Or add some cheese to increase the calcium. Just treat it like a pizza and create it in a fun way that you kid will love. Click here for the egg frittata recipe.
|Serving size: 1 egg|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 270 mg||90%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|