Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole
Eggplant promotes heart and central nercous system health and optimal antioxidants. It is considered to be the most powerful food for women, energizing and soothing! ("Food as Medicine", Khalsa, Dharma Singh, MD)
Eggplant contains dietary fiber, folate, vitamins B3 and B6, magnesium and potassium. It also contains nasunin which is a phytonutrient that protects cells from oxidative damage. Eggplant is a good source of vitamin B1, which assists in making a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine which relays messages between the nerves and muscles.
Eggplant contains only 28 calories per one cup serving, making it ideal for healthy weight control.
Zucchini is a form of summer squash which promotes bone and heart health and also healthy weight control (36 calories per 1 cup serving). Summer squash contains vitamin C and vitamin A carotenoids which protect LDL cholesterol from leading to atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
Summer squash is a concentrated source of nutrients such as anti-inflammatory omega-3's, energy-producing vitamin B1, vitamin B2, iron and niacin, immmune-supporting zinc, and muscle-building protein.
Source: "The World's Healthiest Foods"
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups pasta sauce, (tomato & basil recommended)
- 1/2 TBS nutritional yeast, optional (adds a
- 1 tsp basil, fresh or dry
- 1/2 tsp oregano, fresh or dry
- 1 cup spinach or kale, chopped
- 2 TBS EVOO or grapeseed oil, cold pressed recommended
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, optional
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese, optional
- 1 can (15 oz) white beans, (or your choice)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Peel eggplants and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Lay on lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 min or until shriveled.
- While eggplant is cooking, slice zucchini.
- Place these ingredients into a food processor: spinach, beans, herbs, salt, garlic, oil and nutritional yeast. Pulse until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees when eggplant is done. Grease medium casserole dish. Put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom. Arrange 1/3 eggplant over sauce. Spread 1/2 bean filling over eggplant, then 1/2 zucchini. Repeat and end with eggplant and sauce.
- Bake 40 minutes. Its great without cheese, but if you choose to use it sprinkle cheese on top, bake another 5-7 minutes to melt cheese. Enjoy!!
Recipe from ohsheglows.com