Fall off your Fork Chicken Cacciatore
Delicious Chicken Cacciatore
Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
This is my mother's recipe for Chicken Cacciatore. Cooking this meal brings back warm memories of mom cooking away in the kitchen and the house smelling like an Italian restaurant. This bone-in chicken recipe is cooked with Italian spices and simmered in a white wine sauce. The meat is so tender it will fall off your fork. I hope you enjoy this family favorite Italian dinner. I often cook spaghetti noodles with this dish and set chicken and sauce on top, but it's up to you.
Note: Wine is optional- if you have dietary restrictions, just skip the wine or cooking wine. This dish is full of flavor and will not taste any less delicious without it.
Definition of Chicken Cacciatore
According to Wikipedia, Cacciatore means "hunter" in Italian. "Hunter Style" means that braised chicken is prepared with onions, herbs, tomatoes, bell peppers, and sometimes wine.
Instructions for Preparing Chicken Cacciatore
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Salt all sides of chicken.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium heat.
- Place the chicken pieces skin side down in pan. Cook chicken in batches so you don't crowd the pan.
- Cook chicken until nicely browned, about five to ten minutes, then turn over and lightly brown the other side.
- Remove chicken to a bowl, set aside. Leave remainder of chicken fat in pan, add more olive oil if you have less than 2 tablespoons coating the pan.
- Add sliced onions, bell peppers and mushrooms to the pan. Increase temperature to medium high. Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms have given up most of their moisture, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes
- Add garlic to pan and cook a minute more.
- Add white or red wine and scrape up any fat bits at bottom of the pan. Simmer wine until it is reduced by half.
- Add chicken broth, canned tomatoes and capers.
- Stir in black pepper, thyme, oregano and dash of salt (to taste). Simmer uncovered for another five minutes.
- Place chicken pieces on top of mushrooms, Tomatoes and onions, skin side up.
- Lower heat and cover skillet with lid slightly a jar.
- Cook chicken on a low simmer, turning and basting from time to time.
- Cook until chicken is tender, about 30-50 minutes.
Ingredients for Chicken Cacciatore
- 3-4 Pounds Chicken Pieces (Trim ExcessFat), Bone-In, Skin-On
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- Salt, All Sides
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 (Medium) Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Red or Green Bell Pepper, Seeded and Sliced into 1/4
- 1 Box Mushrooms, Thickly Sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, (or 1 Teaspoon Ready to Use Minced Garlic in a Jar)
- 1/3 Cup White or Red Wine
- I (28 Ounce) Can -Plum or Diced Tomatoes, with Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Drained Capers
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Thyme, (or 2 Teaspoons Fresh, Chopped Thyme)
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Oregano, (or 2 Teaspoons Fresh, Chopped Oregano)
Ingredients you'll need for Chicken Cacciatore
Do you enjoy Chicken Cacciatore
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
© 2013 Linda Rogers