Family Meal Ideas: Pedia´s Crunchy Spring Rolls
Crunchy Spring Rolls
Family is very important in my life. Having a big family in the Philippines, we do share almost everything. It´s just like being married to a family, "in poorness and in wealth, until death do us part". Well, that´s in my family. There´s argument and misunderstanding sometimes but in times of problems and sicknesses in life, we still have a heart to help each other.
The best thing that we do appreciate, is family bonding by having a picnic at the beach with those delicious Filipino foods that my late mother used to cook. It was always fun organizing the picnic and cooking together in our kitchen. One of the recipes that my mother taught me was making her crunchy spring rolls. I call this recipe Pedia´s Crunchy Spring Rolls as my tribute to my late beloved mother.
This is my mothers´ family recipe that I kept to myself for many years but now I will share it to you as a friend. Take note that if you have a lot of helping hands, the time you spend for making this finger food will be lesser than 2 1/2 hours.
- Frying pan or Friteuse
- Sharp knife
- Grater (optional)
- Chopping board
- Kitchen paper
- Deep plate or a bowl
- 3 or more cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 500 gram meat (pork or chicken), ground
- 2 big carrots, grated or cut into thin stripes
- 1 piece chayote, grated or cut into thin stripes
- 3 halves red, yellow and green bell peppers, cut into thin stripes
- 5 leaves chinese cabbage, cut into thin stripes
- 300 gram soybean sprouts, washed and drained
- 1 piece spring onion, sliced
- 30 pieces Spring Roll Pastry, 10
- a bottle oil, for frying
- salt, pepper and soy sauce, to taste
- glass with a little water, for sealing the spring rolls
How To CooK?
- First thing to do is to wash, peel, seeds remove from bell peppers, slice and chop all the vegetables. Chop the garlic and onion. Slice the carrots, chayote, bell peppers and chinese cabbage into thin stripes. Cut the spring onion into small pieces.
- Heat the wok. Saute the garlic and onion into the heated wok. Add the pre-wash ground pork meat and stir it well. Leave for a few minutes. Stir every now and then until it gets a bit brown.
- Add the carrots and stir. Add the chayote, bell peppers, chinese cabbage and the soybean sprouts. Mix them well. Then add the chopped spring onions. Stir into the vegetables. Taste with salt, pepper and soy sauce. Set aside and let it cool for ca.10 minutes to be ready for rolling. Note: The vegetable should be half done as it will still be fried in a friteuse or frying pan.
- Put 1 piece of spring roll pastry on a plate. Put 2 tablespoon of the filling in the pastry. See the photos on the left side. Roll the pastry with filling against you, then fold the right and left sides of the pastry inside the roll. Roll again and then sealed the end of the roll by making it a bit wet with water. Put the spring roll on a big plate as more rolls will follow.
- Make another spring roll one after the other and put them neatly on the plate. In this recipe, it will be 30 pieces big crunchy spring roll you can make.
- Now, we will do the final frying. Heat the friteuse to medium heat. Fry the spring rolls until they are golden brown. Put the fried spring rolls on a bowl with kitchen paper so that the remaining oil will come out. Let them stand on the bowl or a deep plate. When they are all fried, they are ready for eating.
- Serve the crunchy spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce bought from Asian shop.
Step By Step CookingClick thumbnail to view full-size
Wrapped Pedia´s Spring Rolls
- Let the members of your family or friends help you making this recipe so that you will spend less time in preparing and cooking this recipe.
- You can make 60 pieces of spring rolls if you use the small size of spring roll pastry.
- This is good for a finger food party.
- If you intend to make this recipe for only 4 persons, you can reduce the amount of the ingredients.
- Serve fresh and warm.
- If in case you have remaining pastry, use it for making a banana roll for a dessert.
- Cut the banana into half, crosswise.
- Roll the banana in the pastry just like the spring roll.
- Sealed with water and roll til the tip of the pastry.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry.
- Serve with honey.
I hope it is not much work for you. As I say, let family or friends help you. Thanks for reading.
Step By Step Banana RollClick thumbnail to view full-size
Have you eaten crunchy spring rolls before?
Other Hubs By The Same Author
- Tips On How To Stay Healthy At 50
Have you been thinking about your age lately? No? Well,I do. This article is about how I keep myself healthy and I want to give these tips to everybody who thinks life is over now. It is not!!!
- How To Bring Your Dog To The Philippines
If you are planning to bring your pet dog to the Philippines, this is the right article for you. This is about how you prepare for your dogs travel to the hot but sunny country Philippines.
- How To Pack And Send A Balikbayan Box To The Philippines
This article is about how I pack and send a Balikbayan Box to my home country, Philippines. A Balikbayan Box is a Filipino cardboard box luggage for sending goods to their families in the Philippines, tax free.
- Stunning Beauty Of Puerto Galera, Philippines
Have you been to the stunning beaches of Puerto Galera? Well if not, here are some useful information you can have from my own travel to this beautiful and tropical paradise in the Philippines.
- How A Filipino Hold Upper Made My Day In Cebu City, Philippines
This article is about my travel to Cebu City with my friends. How we were hold up inside the jeepney, how this Filipino hold upper ruin my/our days and how thankful we are that we are still alive.
- De Bazaar, The Black Market In Beverwijk, The Netherlands
This article is about my second visit to the largest covered supermarket De Bazaar. It is located in Beverwijk, The Netherlands. It is not far from Amsterdam, around 15 minutes by car. It is one of the main tourist attraction in The Netherlands. De B
© 2012 Thelma Alberts