Beef and Vegetables Soup - Bulalo Recipe
Famous Bulalo Recipe
If you’re looking for a tasty soup during this cold season, why not try this type called bulalo?
Bulalo is actually a Filipino made soup that has a beef bone marrow or shanks in it served in many eateries of the Philippines as well as at home. Many stories have evolved regarding its origin. One reference says that this type of dish originated from Batangas where you find the many versions of bulalo. Other reference says that it actually came from a cold place which is Tagaytay in which there are a lot of cows. Confusing, isn’t it? How about trying this recipe below instead?
You will need:
× ¼ kilogram potatoes (cut into chunks)
× ¼ kilogram carrots (cut into chunks)
× 1 kilogram beef shanks
× 1 piece bay leaf
× 1 piece cabbage (cut into halves)
× 1 piece garlic (chopped)
× 1 piece onion (chopped)
× 6 pieces peppercorns
× 1 bundle bok choy/ petchay (cut into two parts)
× fish sauce/ patis
Here’s how to cook:
1. Pour some water into a big casserole or pot.
2. Put the beef shanks and add onion, garlic and peppercorn.
3. Add bay leaf, salt and fish sauce depending on the desired taste.
4. Let it boil while setting the fire into high heat.
5. When it boils, remove the scum then lower heat and simmer for about 2 hours until the meat becomes tenderized.
6. Remove the meat from the casserole, strain and set aside.
7. Add the carrots, potatoes and cabbages into the casserole and let it cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Add the bok choy/ petchay into the mixture and let it cook for about a few minutes.
9. Turn off the heat and put the mixture into a serving bowl then add the beef shanks that you set aside.
It’s now ready to serve!
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...