- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Get Stuffed: Five Quick and Easy Mushroom Appetizers
Stuffed mushroom recipes have always sounded very daunting to me. The mention of a stuffed mushroom conjures up thoughts of complex recipes, bread crumbs (which I personally detest), and overly indulgent ingredients. But why should a decently stuffed mushroom require any of those elements? My no-heat-required stuffed mushrooms make super-easy appetizers, and I also add them to my lunches as a simple side item. Ditch the bread crumbs and long prep time for tasty hors d'oeuvres that are ready in minutes.
For all of these concoctions I simply used raw button mushrooms. Feel free to substitute with a mushroom of your choice. Remove the mushrooms' stems and then fill with a spoonful of one of the follow delicious stuffings.
- Hummus: Made or bought, simply load up a plate of hollow mushroom caps with a dollop of your favorite variety and serve. Intrepid chefs, be sure to check out some of the unique recipes in my hub Let Them Eat Hummus.
- Guacamole: Again, purchase a package of pre-made guacamole or just peel, de-seed, and mash some ripe avocados. Spoon into the mushroom caps and serve.
- Balsamic cottage cheese: As unlikely as this combination may sound, cottage cheese teamed with balsamic vinegar is a sure thing. Fill each mushroom cap with cottage cheese (my favorite is 2% fat cottage cheese), then lightly drizzle with balsamic.
- Pesto: This flavorful paste made from crushed basil, garlic, and pine nuts is a natural partner for mushrooms. Grocery stores often carry excellent pre-made options, or visit Simple Recipes for instructions on how to make fresh basil pesto.
- Salsa cream cheese: In a blender combine a small tub of cream cheese with about 1/4 cup of salsa. Process until smooth, then serve in the mushroom caps. I find that this stuffing works best when using non-fat or whipped cream cheese paired with a brown mushroom variety.
Other simple mushroom fillings include any kind of cheese (goat cheese with a little salmon is excellent), leftover garlic mashed potatoes, bruschetta, or spinach pureed with herbs and spices. These surprising combos make perfect last-minute appetizers that taste as if they took far longer to prepare The raw stuffed mushroom can be easily made in minutes by chefs and party hosts who are all thumbs in the kitchen, or for a quick and easy snack time nibble.
More Good Eats
- Eggs Around the Clock: Three Recipes
It seems that eggs seem to come in two varieties -- delicious and not. Perhaps it's because the typical preparation methods for this humble food are adhered to by chefs in every type of kitchen with a...
- Perfectly Puffed Pita: 5 Tips
Pita bread is a flatbread of Middle Eastern origin. At times, however, achieving the signature hollow core or puff can prove tricky.
- Baked Carrot Fries: A Healthy Alternative to French ...
Carrot fries created, photographed, and devoured by Beth Morey (2010). As much as I enjoy my healthy eats, I must admit -- there are not many foods that can beat a well-made French fry. Warm, salty, and limp...
- Nutritional Yeast: 3 Vitamin-Rich Recipes for Vegeta...
When is a cheese sauce not a cheese sauce? When it's made with nutritional yeast! Nutritional yeast, or
- Eat Your Antioxidants: A Healthy Pomegranate Biscott...
Biscotti are the ultimate healthy (or healthier) cookie. Italian for
- Get Snacky: The Importance of Snacks in Children's D...
The clocks hands slide toward 11:00 AM, lunchtime imminent. You wouldn't know, though, because you are focused on whatever task is yours for the conquering. Perhaps you're corralling the...
- Drink Your Vegetables: The Delicious Art of Green Sm...
Although green smoothies do not look especially appetizing, they are a nutritious and great-tasting addition to any diet. A green smoothie is a smoothie that incorporates leafy greens, such as spinach, kale,...
- Kitchen Courage: Balanced Living With a Backbone
A blog about eating right and living well.
Stuffed Mushrooms From the Food Network's Everyday Italian
All writing and photography copyright of Beth Morey, 2010. Reproduction/reprinting is prohibited, although linking to this hub as an information source is permitted.