Faux Sushi -Poor Man's sushi with chicken
Sushi with leftovers in refrigerator
Make sushi with available ingredients and available meat or vegetarian only. Check grocer sushi section for inexpensive items in recipe.
- 1 or 2 chicken breast or thigh meat-boneless, boiled, or cooked and cooled
- 1 cup jasmine rice or sushi rice, cook for 15 mins. cool with top off pan
- 1-2 .44oz package Sushi Seaweed (sheets), 5 sheets per pkg, 2-4 servings
- 1 raw zuchinni, sliced in thin, narrow strips
- 1 medium avocado (ripe) peeled, sliced in thin, narrow strips
- 1 small jalapeno (per taste) subst. green pepper, sliced into thin, narrow strips
- Wasabi paste small tube, use sparingly
- optional Buffalo Hot sauce Tabisco brand
- Soy Sauce, Little Soya for gluten free
To make 2-4 servings
- Prepare chicken and let cool. Prepare rice and keep in warm pan after cooking.
- While chicken and rice are cooking, prepare other ingredients. Wash and slice avocado, zucchini , jalapeno and any other ingredients you wish to add to the roll. Other substitute meat ingredients to use- canned tuna, crab claw meat. Other roll ingredients are carrots, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, cream cheese.
- Lay out sushi seaweed sheet, shiny side down on a large cutting board or wax paper. With soft spatula spoon 1-2 tablespoons of warm rice at a time, very thinly across seaweed sheet, pressing and flattening as you cover as much of sheet as possible. Add one strip of chicken,zucchini,avocado, jalapeno in three rows across the sheet horizontal to the bottom to roll up in the sheet. Quickly, but evenly, roll up sheet as tight as possible, flattening and pressing ingredients to stay inside roll ending with seaweed sheet against seaweed sheet. Hold seam on the bottom of the roll to let warmth help seal the roll. Lay aside on separate plate. Make second rolls.
- When finished making rolls, use a sharp knife to carefully cut horizontal roll, vertically into 1- 1 1/2 inch slices. Mix together wasabi and soy sauce to taste. Dip roll into wasabi mixture and dot lightly with hot sauce if desired. Garnish with thickened buffalo sauce to taste.