Favorite Childhood Sandwich Recipes
My Ex-Husband's Favorite Childhood Sandwich:
That is right, I said my ex-husband's favorite childhood sandwich.
During nineteen years of my twenty years of marriage, my husband at the time, fixed me his childhood favorite sandwich. He called it, " A fried potato sandwich." This is one I had never heard of, until my adult life with him.
- Cut potatoes in thin round slices.
- Pour cooking oil in frying pan, enough to cover the bottom inside of the pan.
- Fry potato slices until they have a brown crisp appearance.
- Place a paper towel in a bowl.
- Scoop fried potatoes out of oil and set them in the bowl. The paper towel should serve as an absorption for the extra oil.
- Pile slices of potatoes in between two slices of bread. If you like ketchup, this is good on-top of the potato slices.
This makes a wonderful warm sandwich. Might be high in starch but taste great if you like potatoes, bread and ketchup.
There is a saying that goes something like, "Don't knock it until you've tried it."
Sandwiches for the "young at heart".
What was your favorite sandwich growing up?
Peanut Butter, Miracle Whip, Pickles, Lettuce Between Two Slices of Bread.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 47 g||16%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 14 g||28%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|Sodium 555 mg||23%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Miracle Whip vs. Mayonnaise
Today, December, 23, 2014, I was talking with my beautician about this sandwich; PB, Miracle Whip, Dill Pickles and lettuce. She reminded me that this sandwich is best served with Miracle Whip not Mayonnaise.
Don't forget the lettuce.
The ingredients for an old friend's childhood sandwich that she had never outgrown.
- 2 Slices Bread, White but if you prefer a different type, go for it.
- 1 - 2 Pickles, Sliced in bit size circles and then layered on the peanut butter side.
- Enough for your taste Peanut Butter, Spread over one slice of bread.
- Do you like a lot or a little? You choose. Miracle Whip, Spread over the slice of bread that doesn't have peanut butter.
- You choose. Lettuce, Layered on the Miracle Whip side.
Try it, you just may like it.
I dare you to try this one.
Looking for protein in your diet? Try this quick recipe.
Not as uncommon as I thought.
- Spread peanut butter over both slices of bread. * If you wish, spread butter over both slices and then add peanut butter on top.
- Thin slices of a bananas layered on top of the peanut butter, on one slice of bread. * Best to use bananas before they turn brown, unless you prefer brown bananas.
- Take the slice of bread that doesn't have the bed of bananas and cover the side that does.
- Time to eat.
How about Banana & Peanut Butter Between 2 Slices of Bread?
Try changing the flavor.
A friend was telling me how she likes this same sandwich with Miracle Whip added.
- 2 Slices of Bread (White, Wheat, or whatever type you desire.)
- Spread Peanut Butter over one slice of bread.
- Spread Miracle Whip over the other slice of bread.
- Slice a banana and layer them on one of the slices of bread.
- Close the sandwich up and enjoy your creation.
Fry it the way you like it.
No lid? No Problem.
Fried Egg Sandwich
Runny is messy but well-liked by those that love an untidy sandwich.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Young Chef versus Old Chef
How old were you when you created your favorite sandwich? (Please, leave a message in the comment section and tell us your story.)
I liked PB & J growing up.
I favored, not just any type of peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Mine had to be with strawberry jelly and not just a little. I needed more jelly than peanut butter. I was raised where you eat everything on your plate. This was during a time before people started cutting the crust off of a sandwich. With this in mind, and the fact that I wasn't, nor am I now, a fan of the crust, I liked to eat the crust first and leave the best, (the middle of the sandwich), for last. To this day, one could catch my ritual of eating the crust first and then the middle of a sandwich. In my opinion, the perfect middle of a sandwich must ooze out with every bite.
Old Fashion Sandwich
What is your favorite Jelly matched with peanut butter?
Allergy or Not.....
Are you allergic to peanut butter, if so when did you find out?
History About Peanut Butter Plus More....
- How Safe Is Your Baby from Peanut Butter?
A recent study has many mothers-to-be thinking they should give up peanut products. There are some alternatives for women who still need their peanut butter fix.
- All About Peanut Butter - A History, from Peruvian T...
Many say Americans have contributed two decent things to the world: jazz and baseball. I would venture to add a third component to that mix: peanut butter. It is, after all, seen as very American- and in a positive way. Heck, I was once approached...