- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Feeding your family in this economy
Hello, My name is Faye and I guess this is my first Hub. I am new so I hope you will all bear with me. I am hoping I have something to offer, and I guess you'll all let me know if I don't.
I hope it will not seem trite to say I believe we could all live better if we could spend less on groceries. so first I thought I would give you some cheap ( practically free) meals you can fix to feed your family.
Raising children on a shoestring is difficult. Feeding a husband too is worse, men tend to expect meat and potatoes and that can get expensive.
- First the shopping rules: Only buy what is on sale, but one get one free, or you have a coupon.
- Buy meats at a local family owned shop. These shops have package deals like 25 pounds assorted meat for $30.
- Be wary of dollar stores and discount places, comparison shop. It's only a dollar, but next door it's buy one get one which makes them 79 cents each.
Next the portion rules, based on what I ate growing up, and what my parents and grandparents ate. This got them through the great depression and no one was overweight.
- Always eat breakfast and lunch, even if it is just toast with jelly and pb&j
- One potato, one piece of meat and one piece of bread per person. Make up the rest in veggies, fruit and dessert.
- Meat and potato servings should be about the size of your fist.
When my girls were young I used to make this dish and it was a crowd pleas-er with no left-overs. Here's what you'll need.
- Ramen Noodles. (usually a five pack or six pack will cost 89 cents to $1.00.
- Any cooked Chicken, beef, or pork cut up.You can use left over pork chops with meat cut off the bone. (My kids would tell you, I never get all the bones out we call them the door prize)
- A gravy mix or creamed soup mix of your choice (and within your budget)
- Any veggies will do, canned or frozen peas, mixed, whatever. Use your imagination.(I always used leftovers from fridge, then the meal is practically free.)
That's it. in one pan make your noodles according to instructions (save the flavor packet, you may need it for another time). Drain noodles and set aside. In same pan put your gravy or soup mix (According to instructions), or your own leftover gravy, veggies and cut up meats. Heat this through and toss together with noodles.
I used to make this with chicken patties or pork cutlets, in that case the meat was cooked separately for each serving (one patty per person) and the noodles with sauce put on top. Gosh I wish I had pictures.
Here is the beauty of this "Practically Free Meal." You size it according to your needs. One person? One pack of noodles. or you can make a bunch and take some for lunch. Three people, two packs of noodles is enough.
You can use egg noodles, or rice as your base as well, or you can take those leftovers, with gravy and veggies and have it over toast or as a hearty stew, just add some potatoes.
Practically Free Chili or Sloppy joes? Put your left over meat balls, meatloaf and Hamburgers to good use. Mash them up and heat them through them add your sauce.The beauty of this is the left over chili or sloppy joes can be used as a meat sauce over pasta the next day. If you haven't tried spaghetti with chili don't knock it.
Now picture a cold winter's day, or night. Your loved one comes home freezing! Remember those flavor packets from the Ramen. Good base for a hot cup of soup, or if you have left overs in the fridge you can make a hearty soup with some water, the packets and a bit of thickening, whether it be gravy or cornstarch. You can even use some sour cream or french onion dip to make the soup more creamy. I call it kitchen sink soup, cuz that's all that isn't in it. I made a pot for my husband when he'd had a flat tire in a blizzard. See the tires froze to the ground over night and were retreads. He was at a friend's house and couldn't make it home due to the storm. He finally left and the treads didn't go with him. So I made him this soup and he ate the whole pan and asked for more... I had to tell him there wasn't any more cuz we were out of leftovers.
Helping Mothers and Others
If you would like to earn tangible residual income each month within a year, please contact me. You will be making a commitment to help others.
If you need help with anything from coping to writing please feel free to contact me as well. I do not charge for my knowledge. Just tired of seeing everyone taking advantage of others. Contact me (Faybe Bay) via HubPages through the link at the above right.
Have a great Day, thanks for reading, and if you like my writing please help me by rating me up, sharing and tweeting my page.