Feta Mac and Cheese Recipe
Rate My Recipe
Feta Mac and Cheese - Original Recipe
Mac and cheese is a very popular recipe, and almost anyone has a recipe.
This page actually contains three mac and cheese recipes, from the same base ingredients macaroni and feta cheese.
The recipe has the advantage of being more neutral, because of the feta cheese which doesn't have a strong flavor as other cheeses. For this reason the base can be used to explore your culinary fantasy and improvise other new recipes.
Feta Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- 1 lb (500 gr.) macaroni, elbow or long, ( I used penne this time)
- 1/2 lb (250 gr.) feta cheese, ideally half Bulgarian style, half creamy style
- 30 gr. butter, (don't use margarine)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil, sunflower oil works too
- 1 tbs salt
- Optional Ingredients
- 3 eggs, optional
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
Stainless Steel Colander
A stainless steel colander, with a great finish and polish, the best for straining your pasta.
Preparation Basic Feta Mac and Cheese Recipe
- In a big pot, bring to boil 2 liters of salted water. When the water is boiling add the pasta gradually, so it doesn't stick together. Let it simmer on low heat according to package instructions. Turn off heat, cover with a lid and let them a couple more minutes in the water to.
- Using a sieve rinse the pasta with cold water and drain well. By rinsing in cold water you cool off the pasta preparing it for the addition of the feta cheese. Do not rinse them too much as they will be too cold.
- Place the pasta back in the pot and add the butter. Cover the pot with a lid and shake the macaroni to melt the butter and distribute it evenly.
- Grate the feta cheese and stir gently so you won't break the pasta. If the pasta it too hot the feta cheese will melt and stick together instead of spreading evenly in the macaroni. Your mac and cheese is done. It is absolutely delicious.
4-Sided Cheese Grater
This grater is the best for grating non only feta, but other cheeses too. It has four sides for shredding or slicing cheese.
The grater comes with a 10 years warranty.
Baked Feta Mac and Cheese
At this point if you want to go big and make it more interesting, you can:
- Add 2-3 eggs and 1/2 cup sour cream, mix them with your mac and cheese,
- Place the whole thing in a shallow pan and put it in the oven
For the oven variant, you want to let the pasta a bit more in the boiled water, so it get more soaked before going in the oven.
For a bit more flavor you can replace some of the feta cheese with shredded pepperjack cheese, Cheddar, and Parmesan cheese.
Non-Stick Oblong Cake Pan
Baked Feta Mac and Cheese - Dessert
Another delicious variant is to add sugar to this mix, and make this a dessert. This is my favorite, but because is very high in calories, we rarely cook the dessert mac and cheese.
- Add 8-13 spoons of sugar and mix well, then put it in the oven. When you add sugar, replace the olive oil with butter or sunflower oil.
- You can add vanilla, or grated orange and lemon peel for a nice flavor.
- Remember, the desert mac and cheese needs to be made with cheese that has less flavour, are elastic and are able to evenly cover the dish as it melts.
- Some of these cheeses are: feta, mozzarella, mozzarellissima, bocconcini. Feta is not as elastic as the other ones but it is my favourite because of its unique texture.
- My trick is to mix mozzarellissima and feta in equal parts. Mozzarellissima is not as salty as feta, thus the result will be on the sweet side.
- Sometimes I just use one third baker's cheese and the rest feta and mozzarellissima.
- The dish is done when the sugar starts to caramelize on the pan's edges.
- This desert is packed with calories, but it is also very nutritious.