Fiesta Turkey Tacos: Quick, Easy and HealthyRecipe
Lovin' a taco!
Today, the taco is prepared with unlimited possibilites, from the very extreme with all the trimmings to the bare essentials for a light, healthy snack or meal.
Fiesta Turkey Tacos are prepared on the healthy side of the spectrum, using olive oil instead of vegetable oil or lard for frying, turkey (of course) instead of hamburger, and 3 basic low calorie toppings: onion, lettuce, and cheese.
Frying your taco shells in olive oil produces a lighter and more tasteful shell. Of course, with everyone's taste and preference, the possibilities of garnishments are endless, however, I created this recipe for less calories and keeping it more on the healthy side.
Fiesta Turkey Tacos Nutritional Value
|Serving size: 2 Tacos|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 26 g||52%|
|Cholesterol 80 mg||27%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Prep and Cook Time
Ingredients for Fiesta Turkey Tacos
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 10 oz. can Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 1 Brown Onion, diced
- 1 cup Jack & Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Romaine Lettuce, Chopped
- 10 Corn Tortillas, *Can be substituted for "LOW-CARB" Tortillas
- 1 tablesppon Chili Powder
- Olive Oil, (to fry tortillas in )
Photos Reference Guide to Instructions 1 thru 5Click thumbnail to view full-size
Photos Reference Guide to Instructions 5 thru 8Click thumbnail to view full-size
Amazon Products Recommended by RusticLiving
Making Fiesta Turkey Tacos Step By Step
- Dice 1 brown onion and set aside in a small bowl.
- Chop Romaine lettuce and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Shred 1 cup of jack and cheddar cheese and set aside in medium bowl. (You can also purchase the cheese pre-shredded, which I like to do)
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Brown ground turkey. (approximately 10 minutes) Add chili powder when turkey is cooked but there is still a little liquid in the pan. (The chili powder will absorb the liquid and soak into the turkey)
- Once the liquid is absorbed, add 1 can of the diced tomatoes and green chilies and corn. Let simmer for about 10 minutes stirring occassionally.
- While turkey is simmering, in a small frying pan (big enough to hold the size of your tortilla but not too big as you will use less oil and it will heat faster if you use the correct size pan), add approximately 1 inch of olive oil over medium-high heat
- To test when oil is ready, hold a tortilla edge and lightly dip it into the oil. If it starts to bubble, then oil is ready. If nothing happens, wait a couple of minutes and test again. Add 1 tortilla and fry on one side for about 45-secs to 1 minute. With tongs, turn tortilla over then take one edge of the tortilla and fold over in half to create a taco shell. Fry on both sides until a light golden brown (turning frequently so the tortilla does not over cook) Place on plate or shallow pan lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Continue to fry the remaining tortillas.
- Once all tortillas are cooked, turn heat off on turkey mixture.
- Assembling your tacos: 1- Add turkey mixture 2- Add a little taco sauce (optional) 3- Add chopped onion 4- Add Chopped Lettuce 5- Add Shredded Cheese (about 1 tablespoon)
Do you like this recipe?
Fiesta Turkey Tacos: Quick, Easy, and Healthy
Cast Your Favorite Taco Vote!
What are your favorite Tacos?
More Great Taco Hubs!
- International Foods : The World of Tacos
- Delicious Fish Tacos
- Quick and Easy Chicken Taco Recipe
Here is a quick and easy recipe for delicious chicken tacos that is nutritious and only takes about 30 minutes to prepare. This recipe makes enough for about 6 tacos and of course, you can double if needed.
About the Author
Lisa has directed and acted in musical theatre for nearly 30 years. Her musical upbringing allowed her to pursue her career in teaching and directing and continues to direct shows today. As the owner of 2 online Home Décor sites, Lisa’s passion for Rustic Living all begins with her love for the home, outdoors, and her many hobbies. Lisa loves to laugh, and she share’s that love through her comedic hubs centered on her MOM. Lisa’s passions include writing, directing, acting, photography, singing, cooking, crafts, gardening, and home improvement, including decorating. Lisa also writes under her penned name, Elizabeth Rayen.