- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Filipino Chicken Curry Recipe
Filipino Chicken Curry using drumsticks
Filipino chicken curry is a dish that is common to all Filipino people. In my country(Philippines), food is always a celebration when the family gathers for meals. We make sure that every guest who comes to visit us in our home are offered tea or coffee or any cold drinks. In my village, when we visit our neighbours, we don't make any appointments. We just turn up, and you will be guaranteed an offer of tea, coffee, water or cold drinks or chicken curry or any food that is available.
Curry originated from the Asian countries like Thailand, India, Malaysia, China, and came to the Philippines and now it is all over the world like in the U.S. and England. I think it is becoming a worldwide cuisine. It is very popular here in England. There are so many Indian and Indonesian take away.
In my cooking as you can see in the photos, I actually used drumsticks or chicken legs because I like them but you can use a whole chicken especially if you are cooking for more than two people.
Photos of cooking chicken curry
Filipino Chicken Curry Cooking Time(Guidance Only)
Filipino Curry Ingredients
- 1 kg or 2.2lbs chicken, cut into pieces as you like
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, can use veg or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 piece or 2 oz. onion, sliced
- 1 3/4 oz. any spicy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup or 12 fl. oz. water
- 2 medium pcs. or 3 1/2 oz. capsicum or bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup or 7 oz. carrots, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup or 7 oz. potatoes, cubed and fried
- 1 cup or 8 fl. oz. coconut milk, thick
- First of all, sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Pour in Spicy Sauce Mixture, Stir and bring to boil.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Simmer until vegetables are done.
- Add capsicum or bell pepper, coconut milk, and curry powder. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot with plain boiled rice or stir fried rice or naan bread
Filipino chicken curry
The chicken can be substituted with beef if you like lamb or pork. You can also cook separate mix vegetables to accompany this dish. Some prefer to eat it with Nan bread instead of rice. I like it with rice. If you want your curry really spicy then add more curry powder. I prefer mild curries.
Please note on my photos, I used chicken legs instead of a whole chicken because I am only cooking for two at the time then I thought I have no photos for my chicken curry hub so I took photos while cooking our supper.
Chicken curry Sauce
With this recipe, you can buy ready made curry sauce which are really authentic and very good. Also if you want it to be very hot and spicy, you can add a lot of chilli sauce or fresh chillies to add more spice to it and a bit of a kick to the recipe.
Filipino Style Chicken Curry
There are many ways of cooking Filipino Style Chicken Curry. In the Philippines, we cook curry so many ways that every recipe is accepted and tried. It depends really where you live in the Philippines, because every province has their ways of cooking curry and have varying ingredients.