- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Filipino Chicken Curry Recipe
Filipino Chicken Curry using drumsticks
Filipino chicken curry is a dish that is common to all Filipino people. In my country(Philippines), food is always a celebration when the family gathers for meals. We make sure that every guest who comes to visit us in our home are offered food, tea, coffee or any cold drinks. In my village, when we visit our neighbours, we don't make any appointments. We just turn up, and you will be guaranteed an offer of tea, coffee, water or cold drinks or chicken curry or any food that is available.
Curry originated from other Asian countries like Thailand, India, Malaysia, China, and came to the Philippines and now it is all over the world like in the U.S. and England. I think it is becoming a worldwide cuisine. It is very popular here in England. There are so many Indian and Indonesian take away restaurants.
In my cooking as you can see in the photos, I actually use drumsticks or chicken legs because I like them but you can use a whole chicken especially if you are cooking for more than two people. It is more economical to use a whole chicken if you are cooking for the family or for guests.
Photos of cooking chicken curry
Filipino Chicken Curry Cooking Time(Guidance Only)
Filipino Curry Ingredients
- 1 kg or 2.2lbs chicken, cut into pieces as you like
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, can use veg or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 piece or 2 oz. onion, sliced
- 1 3/4 oz. any spicy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup or 12 fl. oz. water
- 2 medium pcs. or 3 1/2 oz. capsicum or bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 cup or 7 oz. carrots, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup or 7 oz. potatoes, cubed and fried
- 1 cup or 8 fl. oz. coconut milk, thick
How to cook chicken curry
- First of all, sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Pour in Spicy Sauce Mixture, stir and bring to boil.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Add capsicum or bell pepper, coconut milk, and curry powder. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot with plain boiled rice or stir fried rice or naan bread
Filipino chicken curry
The chicken can be substituted with beef or lamb . You can also cook separate mix vegetables to accompany this dish. Some prefer to eat it with nan bread instead of rice. I like it with rice. If you want your curry really spicy then add more curry powder or fresh chillies. I prefer mild curries. My husband prefers hot curries. We all have our preferences.
Please note on my photos, I used chicken legs instead of a whole chicken because I am only cooking for two at the time then I thought I have no photos for my chicken curry hub so I took photos while cooking our supper.
Chicken curry Sauce
With this recipe, you can buy ready made curry sauce which are really authentic and very good. Also if you want it to be very hot and spicy, you can add a lot of chilli sauce or fresh chillies to add more spice to it and a bit of a kick to the recipe.
Filipino Style Chicken Curry
There are many ways of cooking Filipino Style Chicken Curry. In the Philippines, we cook curry so many ways that every recipe is accepted and tried. It depends really where you live in the Philippines, because every province has their own ways of cooking curry and have varying ingredients. Some prefer it spicier or hotter than others. Others prefer mild curries.
How to cook Filipino chicken curry
- Machobos Diyay-Kuwaiti Chicken Recipe and Dakkus (Tomato Ketchup)
Machobos Diyay is another chicken dish that I learnt in Kuwait. It is a basic stewed chicken recipe that is so easy to cook. But the chicken stock is used to cook the rice that accompanies the chicken
How to cook Filipino chicken curry
© 2013 Linda Bryen