Filipino Leche Flan Recipe
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hour
Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
Yields: Depends on the size of the container
- 1 can (390g) evaporated milk
- 1 can (390g) condensed milk
- 10 pieces egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or lemon essence
- 1 cup sugar, for the caramel
- 3/4 cup water, for the caramel
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar & water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelize.
- Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminum moulds - you can use any shape: oval, round or square. Spread the caramel on the bottom of the moulds.
- Mix well the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla by hand or blender.
- Gently pour the mixture on top of the caramel on the aluminum moulds. Fill the moulds to about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover moulds individually with aluminum foil.
- Steam for about 20 minutes (the traditional way to make Leche Flan is by open-air steaming on either an open cooking fire or stove top) OR
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Before baking the Leche Flan, place the moulds on a larger baking pan half filled with very hot water. Pre-heat oven to about 370 degrees before baking.
- Let cool then refrigerate.
- To serve: run a thin knife around the edges of the mould to loosen the Leche Flan. Place a platter on top of the mould and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.
- You can tell when the Leche Flan is cooked by inserting a knife -if it comes out clean, it is cooked.