- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Filipino Noodles and Pasta Recipes
For Long Life
Aside from rice which is a source of carbohydrates, Filipinos are also fond of "pancit" or noodle dishes and pasta. On Special Occasions especially birthdays, these dishes are always present since it's an old belief that when you prepare this kind of food you'll have a longer life.
8 oz pack Rice Noodles
For the sauce:
Mince garlic (1 clove)
Mince Onion (1 medium size bulb)
1 can Tuna flakes (soak in brine or olive oil)
2 cups broth (shrimp broth from 1 shrimp flavored broth cube)
2 tbsp cornstarch
Any yellow Food coloring (preferably "atsuete" or annatto)
For the Toppings and Garnishing
Onion leaves (not the hybrid type)
3 Boiled eggs slice
Crush Chicharon (the crispy skin of a pig dried, salted and fried)
Cooked shelled shrimps (optional)
NOTE: Cook the sauce first since if you cook the noodles it will get firm when expose to air. Anyway you can cook it for just a few minutes.
1. Dissolve 2 tbsp cornstarch, and the food coloring to 2 cups broth and set aside.
2. Saute mince garlic and onion in a little oil or butter with the tuna flakes.
3. Put the broth after and let it simmer for a few minutes stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook the noodles by boiling it for 5 mins or until cook.
5. When cook put in a strainer to drain.
6. Lay the noodles in a platter and top with the sauce. Garnish with boiled eggs, chicharon, shrimps and onion leaves. You can add a little pepper and "patis" (fish sauce) depending on your taste. Sprinkle some calamansi (lime) or lemon to have a tangy taste to it.
Filipino Style Spaghetti
1 pack 500 g spaghetti noodles
1 can spaghetti sauce
1 tetra pack or budget pack spaghetti sauce
1 clove mince garlic
1 medium size mince onion
1 medium size red bell pepper mince
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 kilo ground beef
1/2 kilo ground pork
5 pieces cooked hot dogs slice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the noodles according to package instruction and add a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp olive oil so that it'll not stick to the pot.
2. For the sauce, saute the garlic and onions with the ground pork and beef until they turn brown.
3. Add the spaghetti sauce and sugar then simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add salt,pepper,bell pepper, hot dogs and cheese. Simmer again for another 5 minutes.
5. Add the spaghetti noodles and serve in a platter with grated cheese.