- Food and Cooking
Buko Pandan Salad
Buko pandan salad is often compared to the basic buko salad since both desserts use young coconut (buko) as a main ingredient. The only difference is the addition of the pandan (fragrant screwpine) flavor.
Buko Pandan salad has two main ingredients namely the buko or young coconut meat and pandan (fragrant screwpine) leaves, a common ingredient for Filipino dessert because of its distinct taste and nice aroma. However, if pandan fresh leaf is not available, there is a commercially prepared Pandan (Screwpine) flavor or powder available in the grocers or in any Filipino and Asian stores in the US. Same with pinipig or popped rice.
- 5 pcs young coconut (buko) shredded into fine strips
- 8 pcs.washed well, twisted Pandan (fragrant Screwpine) leaves
- 10 cups fresh coconut water
- 1 medium can Nestle cream
- 1medium can sweetened condensed milk
- sugar to taste (optional)
- cheese bits (optional)
- 2 bars Gulaman, white (or green)
- 2 cups Nata de coco
- Scoops of Ice Cream or Toasted Pinipig rice
- Place the shredded buko in the fridge. Young coconut meat (Buko) will easily spoil if left in room temperature for long so make sure to have it taken out of the shell on the same day or prepare them the same day and place on the fridge for good measure to preserve its freshness. (Note: Fresh buko lasts 1-2 days only even if on the fridge).
- Place the coconut water in a deep pan and wait until it boils. Make sure the water is now down to 8 cups. Once it does, place the 2 bars of gulaman (Note: 1 bar of gulaman to 4 cups of water) and stir to dissolve. Add the 1 cup sugar (optional) and let it dissolve.
- Let the coconut water-gulaman mixture cool down a bit, and place in molds or deep bowls then put it in the fridge to harden. Slice into small 2cm cubes and put back in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, put the shredded buko in a deep bowl. Add the can of cream and the can of sweetened condensed milk. Add the cheese bits (optional) and the nata de coco. Mix also the cubed gulaman.
- Put a nice deep bowl and let cool in the refrigerator. Prior to serving, place in individual salad cups and top with a scoop of your favorite ice cream or sprinkle with toasted pinipig rice. Pinipig rice is toasted by putting it on a shallow pan over low heat, while stirring continuously until it turns light brown.