Finger Lickin' Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Finger Lickin' Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Buttermilk Fried Chicken is enjoyed often at our house; we do love our fried chicken hot or cold.
The buttermilk marinade used for the chicken will result in tender, juicy chicken. My mama says for the best results use Crisco shortening and a cast iron skillet. She also says when cooking and baking cheapest ingredients are not always the best! Mama knows what is best!
If you like a little spice in your food, add to the flour mixture, cayenne pepper and garlic powder or to buttermilk marinade a couple dashes of hot sauce at the heat level you like!
Side dishes are unlimited with fried chicken, some we enjoy are potato salad, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, pinto beans, green beans, corn on cob, and top it off with cream gravy and homemade biscuits. The list goes on and on! Are you hungry yet?
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups Crisco or other vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- At least three hours before frying your chicken, combine the buttermilk, half the salt and pepper. Pour mixture over chicken, turn to coat well, and refrigerate.
- In a heavy skillet heat the shortening on high heat.
- Combine the flour and the other half of the salt and pepper in dish with edges that way the mixture will not fall off the edge when coating the chicken.
- Drain marinade from the chicken pieces.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, shake off the excess. Place floured chicken in a single layer on a sheet of waxed paper.
- Heat shortening until reaches a temperature of 360 degrees Fahrenheit on a frying thermometer, using long handled tongs, carefully place the chicken pieces in the hot shortening skin side down. Place the dark meat in center of the skillet first.
- Cover loosely and lower heat to medium-high. Cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is golden, remove cover, lower heat to medium.
- Using the long handled tongs turn the pieces over carefully, cook uncovered, for another 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and drain on paper towels.
- Hot chicken is delicious with Cream Gravy, or refrigerate and take with you on a picnic.
Tips and Warning for Frying Chicken!
For extra spice add one teaspoon of hot sauce to the buttermilk marinade; or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and one teaspoon garlic powder to the flour mixture.
Use caution when placing chicken pieces in hot shortening, and turning chicken, use a long handled utensil!
Homemade Fried Chicken Gravy
If chicken is fried at our house, we have chicken gravy and hot fluffy biscuits. It is very easy to prepare right in the pan you fried the chicken. You may double or triple recipe for the amount you need!
- 2 tablespoon frying oil
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Use the skillet you fried the chicken in, draining all but 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour over low heat. Cook around 2 minutes, stirring whole time.
- Add chicken stock stirring to get tidbits off bottom of skillet.
- Add milk stirring whole time over high heat until comes to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with fried chicken.
Frying Chicken In Iron Skillet, Almost Ready!
Iron Skillet, Must Have For Frying!
Iron Skillet, Get One Today!
I actual have three different sizes of iron skillets, I love the way they cook certain foods! Makes the best crispy fried chicken, the only way to chicken fry venison! The list goes on and on. Get one soon, you will not be sorry for the results you get. Make sure it is seasoned before you use it! Happy cooking!
How to Fry Chicken in Cast Iron Skillet
Cooking with Margie Lynn!
Frying chicken takes a little effort and time, but it is so worth it! I hope you enjoy this recipe and add to your recipe box. So many delicious sides you can pair with this delicious home-made chicken. Happy cooking and eating!
The History Of Fried Chicken In a Minute!
Homemade Finger Lickin' Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Mashed Potatoes, let's eat!
Tell me what you think about this Finger Lickin' Fried Chicken!
More Delicious Recipes to Try!
- Savory and Sweet Hot Roll Recipes!
This collection of roll recipes are some of my favorites. Some are made with yeast, oatmeal, refrigerator biscuits or crescent roll. Let's make a batch!
- Southern Cooking Comfort Food Recipes
Need some Southern Comfort Food? These are just a few of my favorites! Hummingbird Cake, meat loaf, sweet potatoes fries, homemade lemonade and chicken fried venison just to name a few!
- Savory Summer Salad Recipes
Here is a collections of some of my favorite Savory Summer Salad Recipes, from cucumbers to okra! Pick your favorite!
- We All Scream For Ice-Cream Recipes!
We All Scream for Ice-Cream Recipes! There is nothing better than homemade ice-cream. What's your favorite? Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, peanut butter or Big Red for the kids!
How do you like to cook your chicken?
Vote for perfered way to cook your chicken!
© 2016 Margie Lynn