- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Fire-Roasted Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe, Extra-Spicy
Habanero chilies are well known to be one of the spiciest chilies in their genus (Capsicum), and this hot sauce lives up to its main ingredient. This Fire-Roasted Habanero Hot Sauce is so intensely spicy that we wondered (with tears running down our faces) why we bothered using other ingredients in the sauce since we couldn't possibly taste them over the spice. A couple drops of this powerful hot sauce in a dish are sufficient to turn up the spiciness considerably! My husband's commentary on this sauce is simply, "It hurts." Heh. Use with caution, and enjoy!
Use in Mexican, Caribbean, or South American food, soups, chili, bean dishes, meat, and anything else that could do with a good dose of extra hot spice. This recipe is vegetarian and vegan. If you'd like something a little more mild, check out this Fire-Roasted Salsa recipe from last year.
Fire-Roasted Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe
Makes plenty to last you a while. We gave little bottles of this sauce to two of our spice-loving friends and still had plenty left for our own use, so you may want to halve the recipe if preparing it for a single family.
- 18 habanero peppers
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon coarse-chopped ginger root
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a blender
- a jar you can seal
1. To roast the peppers, you'll need a hot fire started in your grill. We waited to make this sauce on a day when we were grilling something else, so that the fire could be used for more than just this.
2. Wash the peppers, then, simply place them on the grill whole, and turn as they brown (black spots are fine, just don't roast them until entirely black). Evenly roast then remove from the fire. Allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, chop the ginger root and measure out all of the other ingredients.
4. When the peppers are ready, remove their stems. Take care to WASH YOUR HANDS carefully after touching the habaneros, because you do NOT want to get any in your eyes. Next, place the peppers and all other ingredients in the blender. Blend well on high until everything is finely blended and of a thick liquid consistency.
5. Store your fire-roasted habanero hot sauce in a sealed container and refrigerate to lengthen its lifetime. Wash all materials used well. Use anywhere you'd use hot sauce. Enjoy!