- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Healthy Food for Kids: Fish Cake with Carrot Recipe
Best Way to Get Your Kids to Eat Fish and Vegetables
Fish is the main ingredient in fish cake and is one of the most healthy meats in our diet. Fish contains less Saturated fat than other type of meats such as beef and pork. The OMEGA-3 in fish oil is essential to help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. At least 1/3 of the month we have fish in our meal menu, which means that I have to come up all different ways to cook fish or my family might get tired of eating the same type of meals so often. Since I have three young kids and fish has bones, I find it easier for them to drink fish soup or eat fish cake. Well, I have eaten a lot of different types of fish cake made by my mom when I was a kid. My mom made them as main meals as well as snacks for us. They are all very delicious and easy to eat. Most of all, they are healthy food for kids as well as for adults. I have been making fish cakes for my family and they love them too. Today I am sharing one of the fish cake recipes.
How do you like the Fish Cake Recipe?
- 2 Fish Fillet
- 2 Eggs
- 1 stalk Carrot, Middium
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Tapioca Starch, or corn starch
- 1/2 cup Water
- Clean and peel the carrot with a peeler. Chop it into small pieces with a big knife and boil it in 1/2 cup of water for 3 minutes.
- On a cutting board, finely chop the fish fillets.
- Add in the eggs, garlic powder, salt, Tapioca starch, carrots. Mix them well with the fish, then finely chop them until everything turn into a paste.
- Set the stove to the high setting. Heat a large skillet with the olive oil. Divide the paste into four and put them into the skillet and let them cook for 30 seconds, then flip them to cook the other sides for another 30 seconds. Try to press the fish cakes down to about 1/4" in height. Then lower the heat to medium and continue to cook the fish for another 2-3 minutes depending upon the thickness of the fish cake. Remember to flip the fish cakes often to avoid getting burnt.
- Serve the fish cakes alone or with rice and vegetables of your choice.
Fish Cake with Creamy Potato Soup
Beside eating fish cakes with rice and vegetables like the Asians do, pair up fish cake with any creamy soup such as creamy potato soup is also a great combination for dinner. Here is how to make a creamy potato soup:
5 medium potato, 3 stalks of medium carrots, 5 cups of milk, 1 cup of water, 1 tbsp garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash and cut potato and carrots into small cubes and boil them in a large pot with lip covered and stir often.
- Add in the milk when the water is almost gone and bring it to a boil. turn the heat and simmer it without the cover until the soup thicken. Make sure to stir it often.
- The soup is ready when it is creamy (about 30 - 45 minutes). Stir in garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Vegetables that Go Well with Fish Cake
If you're having a hard time to get your kids to eat vegetables, making fish cake with vegetables is one of the easy ways to add vegetables into your kids' diet. Beside carrots, here are some other vegetables that go well with fish cake: spinach, green onion, water chestnuts, and squash such as zucchini and cucumber.
Tapioca Starch vs Corn Starch
Tapioca starch is made from the Cassava root. I find the texture of tapioca starch is smoother and easier to work with than corn starch. Gravies that are made with tapioca starch are also more transparent and appareling. They don't turn lumpy when they get cold such as the gravies that are made with corn starch and are much easier to turn back to a liquid form with heat. You can find tapioca starch at many Asian markets. The cost is about the same as corn starch.