Fish Cakes Recipe ~ (Things Bajan)
I thought my first Hub should depict a recipe (remember food is the key to one's stomach and heart), as well as something I am familiar with - things "bajan". In case you're wondering what Bajan is, Bajan may refer to something of, from, or related to Barbados. Yes! I am a Bajan gal and this recipe for one of our local snacks is just an appetizer for more Hub recipes to come!
- 1 cup salted cod, cooked and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup 4floz/125ml milk
- 1/2 cup 4floz/125ml water
- Oil to deep fry
- pinch bicarbonate soda
- Sift flour, bicarbonate soda and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Add beaten egg and milk with enough water to make a thin batter, beating well to incorporate the air.
- Add hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Mix the salted cod, onion, tomato, bell peppers and parsley together and add to batter. Continue beating well.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat; when hot, drop the batter by the teaspoonful and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with pepper sauce or any preferable sauce/dip