- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Fish Cutlets - A Delicious Fish Recipe
Also known as Fish Patties, Fish Cutlets are a truly awesome fish dish which has always been popular with every crowd. Have it as a snack or a full meal with some chutneys or sauces, it work every way, such is its flexibility. Always appetizing, this can also be served in a burger and while its popularity in restaurants is obviously evident, you can make this yourself with the help of this recipe.
Normally, fish with less bones are used in cutlets as it helps in de-boning. You can use sea fish like Pomfret, Indian Salmon, Basa etc or river fish like Bhetki.
I advise you to be careful and make sure to leave out every bit of moisture off the steamed fish - so drain the water out properly before de-boning the fish. Additionally, I stir fry the onions to remove any moisture from it. I use cornflour and potatoes for binding. Bread crumbs is traditionally used for coating the cutlets, or frying them as it gives an awesome crispiness (and taste) to these cutlets. The eggs enhances the taste of the coating as well.
So, lets get to the recipe for this mouth watering dish.
- 300 gms fish (pomfret)
- 2 medium size potato
- 2 medium size onions
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 green chillies
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt (according to taste)
- Oil (for shallow frying)
1. Cut the head and tail, cut each fish into 2 pieces. Marinate the pieces with a little lime juice, and a little salt and keep aside for 15 minutes and then steam it. After it cools, drain all the moisture, de-bone it. Mash the fish pieces with your hand or a masher.
2. Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
3. Cut the onions and green chillies finely.
4. Mix the fish pulp and potatoes and mash them together. Now, add salt and chilli, coriander and cumin powder. Add lime juice, ginger-garlic paste, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and 1 tbsp cornflour, and mix properly.
5. Mix 2 tbps of cornflour with the beaten eggs, and add a little salt and pepper powder.
Instructions for cooking
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and stir fry the onions for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the onions to the fish mix and mix everything well.
2. Make a ball of the mix and press it to form a cutlet shape (as shown in the figure at the top) - however, the shape is up to you. Prepare the rest of the patties this way.
3. Now, dip each pattie into the cornflour and egg batter, and roll it over the breadcrumbs properly, pressing from all sides. Get the rest of the patties ready this way, for frying. Refrigerate these patties for 10 minutes. After this, the patties are for frying.
4. Heat oil in a pan and when it hot, reduce to a medium flame and shallow fry 3 to 4 patties at a time. When one side is golden brown, turn it to the other side and fry till golden brown again. Repeat this for the rest of your patties.
5. Modelr\ately sprinkle the lime juice over your cutlets.
6. Your tasty Fish Cutlets are ready.
This is such a delicious item and I'm amazed at the results every time I cook this. I've been having fish cutlets since I was a kid and this recipe nails it really. Its always a hit with whoever you serve it to and its a fantastic way to win everyone over. You can serve it with any kind of chutney or sauce and have a helping of salad on the side.
So, why wait, try this recipe out and you too will be amazed and dazzled at the results.