What to do With an Eggplant
4 Things to Do With an Eggplant
My favorite way to cook an eggplant* is to make eggplant parmegiana. Good stuff. But to keep it simple and just in case you are getting bored - and don't know what to do with that eggplant still laying around in your kitchen, here are some simple and tasty suggestions:
A Spicy Dip:
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise
- Bake in the oven until soft
- Scoop out and mash
- Add crushed garlic, lemon juice and yogurt to taste
- optional - I like a bit of sea salt
Serve with pita bread
A Quick and Easy Pasta Sauce:
- Peel, then fry cubed eggplant in olive oil until golden brown
- Add chopped garlic and a 16 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until thickenend
- Toss with cooked pasta, adding plenty of grated Parmesan
Easy Baked Eggplant with Mozzarella Cheese:
- Peel and slice lengthwise
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes (or until tender)
- Top with slices of mozzarella and fresh (or canned) tomatoes
- Put back in the oven until cheese is melted
- Brush peeled strips of eggplant with olive oil
- Grill until tender
- Add to prepared bulgur wheat with chopped parsley, mint, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice and a little olive oil.
Generally, I put a pinch of sea salt on just about everything - but except in the first suggestion I excluded it - but will add it to taste when I cook.
*Eggplants are known in many parts of the world as 'aubergines'
More Healthy Eating Ideas
- The Black Super Foods
Add black to the colorful list of super foods. There are eight black super foods to add to your diet that will provide amazing healthy benefits.
- Healthy Purple Foods: 3 to Try
Purple foods have a dark pigment known as anthocyanin, which provide a number of very healthy benefits. In fact, purple corn has five times more anthocyanin than blueberries.
- The Medicinal Benefits of the Artichoke: More Than a...
The lovely artichoke has been used for more than 2500 years, not only as a food to enjoy, but for its many medicinal benefits as well. In fact, the artichoke also has antimicrobial properties.
- 5 Medicinal Benefits of the Jujube Fruit
The jujube is much more than a box of overpriced candy at the movie theater. In fact, it is a real fruit with real health benefits known for thousands of years.
- 8 Super Health Benefits of Asparagus
Did you know that asparagus can not only detoxify our system, reduce inflammation and help prevent birth defects, but is also considered an aphrodisiac? All these health benefits are designed by nature - no pill supplements needed.